Chapter 5| Chess

Ashley pov:

I'd just gotten home from a long day at work. Someone found a problem with one of the makeup products and I had to come down and fix it. Turns out it was just a trainee making a dumb mistake if he was one of my employees I would've fired him for wasting my time.

I looked around a little and didn't see Alexander, thank god I had some time to myself before he came home. I know he's legally my husband now but that was a legal contract I didn't have to like him or even tolerate him.

I went down into the basement and grabbed a bottle of good white wine and poured myself a glass. I texted the guy I liked to play chess with. He's the only person who isn't a complete idiot when it comes to chess.

I walked upstairs and into my outside living room. The room had a sofa with fairy lighting in the corner, a table with a built-in chess board, and two small sofas on opposite sides. It had large glass windows where you could see my garden out of and could see the guest house.

I only used this room to play chess and occasionally to relax on the sofa when it rains.

It only took a few minutes for my opponent to arrive and we began a chess game immediately. We played in silence, I didn't like talking. I'd play with a robot if I could but I don't like playing chess on my phone.

We usually play 7 games, to avoid a tie. We were on game 3, I'd won all three so far when I heard the door open.

I knew it wasn't Mia, she was back in Italy doing some work for me. It wasn't security they were all outside and knew not to disturb my chess games. It couldn't have been a servant, none of them were working today. So it had to of been... Alexander. Great. What did he want now? I wasn't in the mood to deal with him right now.

Alex pov:

I'd just got back from shopping with Alessandro, who helped me put everything away in my room. Alessandro told me Ashley was usually playing chess at this time and told me which room she was in and pointed me in the right direction. He did warn me not to disturb her but I'm sure it'll be fine.

I creaked open the door of the outside living room. Whatever that was. And I walked inside. I saw Ashley... with a glass of wine. I wasn't going to say anything about it, although whenever I saw her she had wine in her hand. I saw a man sitting opposite her, he looked a few years older than me, maybe 26, and he looked smart in a suit and tie. His hair was slicked back and he had his blazer done up. How was that comfortable!? I wondered who that man was. I'd just ask Alessandro later.

I walked further into the room and saw they were playing what I think was chess but I can't be sure.

I was fidgeting with Ashley's card in my hand as I walked closer so I was standing next to her. "Hey um here's your card back," I said nervously trying my best to sound confident. I reached the card out for her to take.

Ashley took the card off me and put it down on the table, without saying anything or giving me any attention. She kept playing her chess game with her opponent without even acknowledging my existence.

I wanted to spend some time with her or at least thank her for letting me go shopping. "Can I stay and watch?" I gave her a small smile, hoping she'd let me stay.

"Do you even know anything about chess?" She asked coldly without looking at him.

"I know a bit," I mumbled. I know the basics like how all the pieces move but not any strategy.

Ashley sighed before gesturing for me to sit next to her. I sat down next to her, the sofa was small and was only made for one person but it had enough room for two. I tried not to press into her or do anything more than have our knees touching. Ashley didn't seem bothered by the physical contact but I was struggling not to blush with my knee against her soft skin.