Sixteen-Lillian ❤️‍🩹

"Lil!"

Dad was running at me, swallowing me in a massive hug before I could even call out to him. His arms wrapped tight around me was almost enough to make me start crying. While I didn't mind living so far from my parents, and I was perfectly capable of living on my own, I still missed them to death.

What felt like several minutes later, he pulled back with a frown, saying, "Look at you. All that Denver air has made you frail and sickly. I hardly recognize you."

"Dad," I complained, already giggling.

His frown disappeared, replaced by a smile. "Kidding, Lil, you look great. Denver is good for you, even if it is so far away. You're still happy there?"

"I am. Jade says hi, by the way," I said, handing him a small container of peanut butter cookies. "You have to share with mom, though."

"Of course I do," he sighed, disappointed. "You know, maybe it's better that you live in Denver, close to her. If she lived here, along with you, I think she'd cook me and your mom to death. Those meringues she sent last time were gone in a few hours."

He offered to take my bag as we caught the shuttle out to the parking lot. I smiled upon seeing our little blue car, squashed between two pickup trucks. Dad could've had pretty much any car he wanted, but he still loved our little sedan that barely held all three of us.

My suitcase went in the trunk before we started driving home. We didn't exactly live in San Francisco; we lived in Muir Beach, which on the other side of the bridge to the north. Our house sat on a hill, with a driveway so steep it was nearly impossible to ride your bike up it. The house itself was a little small, with three bedrooms and two bathrooms. The siding was painted a deep, rustic red, and the house was filled with tall, skinny windows that let you look into the trees outside. We also had skylights in every room. My mom was a big fan of plants, so green foliage often covered tables and shelves, aside from the many hanging plants she had in the windows.

Dad unlocked the front door and pushed it open, calling, "We're home!"

Mom came running from the hallway to hug me, squeezing all the air out of me. "Oh, Lillian, sweetie, I missed you!" she cried, kissing both my cheeks.

"I missed you too," I said, holding her close.

"Did you grow?" she asked, looking up at me.

I grinned. "I'm a little old for growing, mom."

"No, no, I think you grew. Carson, doesn't she look like she grew?" she asked as dad set my things in my room.

"Yes, you do look a little taller," dad said, winking from behind her.

"Come on, sit down and let me make you a sandwich. You must be starving," mom fretted, pulling out a chair at the dining room table and nudging me into it. She stepped around the kitchen counter, turning on the stove and greasing a pan.

"How was your flight?" dad asked, sitting down across from me. His tablet had been on, but now he shut it off.

"Good. Made it in two hours," I said, taking off my jacket. "How have you guys been?"

"Good, good. Excited for the holiday break," he said, his eyes crinkled in a smile. Dad loved hockey to death, but he needed to rest sometimes. It didn't help that he was getting older and the stress of coaching was slowly starting to affect his health.

"Are we going to the game tomorrow night?" I asked hopefully.

"Of course. I got you girls seats right behind the glass," dad said with a smile. I squealed, too excited to contain it. Mom and I always had fun at games, but being behind the glass was an extra special treat.