Thirty Seven-Logan 🏒

"What color tulips?" Graham asked through the phone.

       "There are different colors? What colors do they have?" I asked anxiously. It was already seven, meaning Lillian was probably going to wake up soon, either naturally or by means of her alarm clock.

        "Red, yellow, pink, periwinkle, there's like a pink-orange dipped one," Graham listed off.

        I hadn't expected this to be so hard. "Periwinkle," I said weakly. I wasn't sure if it was her favorite color of tulip, but Lillian did own a lot of periwinkle and lilac colored clothes. It was my best choice.

        I probably should not have left the task of getting everything for Valentine's Day for...well, the morning of Valentine's Day. I was eternally grateful for Graham, who had agreed to be my errand boy since I was not in errand boy shape. I'd given him a short list, mainly of chocolates, flowers, and a stuffed baby chick that was the size of a tricycle. The chick had been my best idea. since I knew Lillian loved baby chicks. Thankfully, the store was already prepping for Easter. I had made a card by hand last night, so I wasn't completely relying on Graham to get everything. Finally, I'd ordered a periwinkle fuzzy blanket, since I knew Lillian liked wrapping them around her shoulders when she was working on her computer.

        "That's everything on the list," Graham announced into my ear.

        "Thank you," I said, relieved. "I'll see you soon."

        Graham was at my house twenty minutes later, laden down with grocery bags. We spoke quietly, since miraculously, Lillian was still sleeping. Then again, she'd had a rough week; I didn't blame her for wanting a bit of extra rest. She slept through everything, even when Graham blew up a pink balloon and it got away from him, spluttering before smacking him in the face.

        We both convulsed with silent laughter, neither of us daring to look at the other to avoid simply bursting into giggles. Calming down, I helpfully replaced the fallen balloon to save Graham the trouble.

        "Is that everything?" he whispered, tying the last balloon to the frame around the hall doorway.

        "It should be. You're the best, man," I said, giving him a one-armed hug. "Sorry I took up your whole morning. I'm sure you've got plans today."

        He snorted. "What, like a date? The only date I have is with my sweatpants and my new book that came in the mail yesterday."

        "That sounds pretty serious," I agreed. "Have fun!"

        "Thanks. You too; good luck with this," he said, sweeping his arm over the pink and red sparkles permanently ingrained in my AC unit. 

        Graham went out, driving away and leaving fresh tire tracks in the snow. I closed the door after him and anxiously checked the time. It was almost nine. Lillian had to be getting up soon. 

        Breakfast was the last thing on my to-do list. Now, it was pretty hard to cook considering I couldn't stand for long periods of time. Either my good leg gave out from exhaustion or I got too wobbly to have kitchen safety by my side. I alternated between standing like a flamingo, sitting, and leaning heavily against the counter as I mixed up the pancake batter and poured it onto the griddle. Lillian loved cinnamon pancakes almost as much as I loved hockey, which was really saying something. She only made them every once in a while, probably not wanting me to get sick of cinnamon, so I figured I could return the favor. 

        A sharp gasp behind me made me turn around. Lillian stood beneath the balloon door, her jaw slack and her eyes wide. She wore her adorable pink pajamas, the ones with the Care Bears printed on them. Looking around with wonder, she hugged her elbows as she slowly took a few steps into the living room.