Chapter 2

Alice hurried to her first class in a daze, Percy's words playing on a loop in her mind. When the final bell rang she practically sprinted across campus, heading straight for the headmaster's office. Luck was on her side, and the usually stern Mr. Blackwell agreed to see her immediately due to the 'sensitive nature' of her information.

Haltingly at first, then gaining confidence, Alice recounted the events from a decade prior and her chilling encounter with Percy that morning. Blackwell listened gravely without interrupting, fiddling his fingers as he mulled over her tale.

"This is indeed troubling news, Miss Wardlow," he rumbled once she had finished. "While I cannot condone students running off alone investigating supposed supernatural occurrences, I understand your concern. Please allow my staff and I to handle this discreetly. In the meantime, stay vigilant but do not attempt to confront this woman yourselves, is that clear?"

Reluctantly Alice agreed, secretly determined to get to the bottom of it with or without permission. She darted out of Blackwell's office with thousands more questions than answers. Where had the mysterious redhead disappeared all these years? What was her connection to the ruby amulet, and could it grant powers like Alice's? Most importantly of all, had she really murdered Amber Findley?

That evening, Alice pored over old yearbooks in the library, searching in vain for any trace of pigtailed ginger among the smiling faces. Just as she was packing up to leave, a soft voice interrupted her thoughts. "Looking for someone in particular?"