Chapter 9

Ben struggled on as he raced through the dark cave, Blaire's motionless body was draped over his back. His breath grew ragged but he refused to stop, Blaire could die if she's in here any longer.

As Ben was about to give up, he spotted a faint shimmer up ahead. Ben rushed towards it, gasping as he fell onto the grass, inhaling the sweet smell of dew and nectar in the air.He sat up, looking around he was lying in a patch of healthy green grass, the sun shone heroically in the sky and the flowers danced in the wind. Mountains in the distance were calling for them, and they were no longer in the cave. Ben looked back, but the stone cave exit was gone, what was left was a small stone ingot lying in the grass. Ben got up and picked up the ingot, an engraving of a girl with luscious hair and she held an orb that had lines indicating glowing, placed right in the middle of her chest.

Ben drew his hand along the engraving, as his finger lay upon the orb on the engraving, it glowed an iridescent pearly white. "Exactly like Dahlia's..." Ben murmured as he turned around to Blaire, laying like snow white as grass and daisy's danced around her. Ben slipped the ingot into his pocket and approached Blaire, pulling her onto his back. "I don't know where we're going, but I think I know what we're supposed to find." Ben said as he patted his pocket.

Ben started to run down the grassy hill, he swore he saw a faint blue glow as he approached the trees at the bottom of the hill. "Ben?" Blaire was able to squeak whilst her head was on his shoulder. "Blaire! Oh My God, you're awake! I heard something coming from within the forest, I'm still trying to figure out what it is." Ben stopped running as Blaire shakily got off of his back. She stumbled to the floor. "Do you, still want me to carry you?" Ben said, helping her up. "No...thanks" Blaire said harshly and then softly as her face became a cherry tomato.

Something caught Blaire's eye, "Ben! Look! There's the light." Blaire immediately started to run. And as Ben chased after her, he thought to tell her about the ingot, but he decided not.

Ben's breath drew ragged as he finally came to a stop behind the gasping Blaire. He looked up, the blue light faintly travelling through a dark cave. "Come on, a cave? Really? This is like, the eight-hundredth we've come along!" Ben groaned as Blaire grabbed his hand and dragged him in.

They walked into the cave and felt their breath catch in their throats. The cave was large and adorned with glowing colourful geodes and crystals. Blaire walked forward as Ben hastily followed behind her. Suddenly, a piercing screech rent the air, followed by a deafening roar and beating wings. Emerging into a clearing, they gazed up in awe and terror at the crimson dragon soaring above treetops, the crystal's lights glinting off iridescent scales.

It swooped lower, fixing them with a soul-piercing gaze. To their shock, it spoke within their minds. "What business have you been disturbing my slumber, young mortals?"

Trembling, Blaire spoke "We mean no harm, please. We're looking for the Archmage." "Your quest is a risky one child, for a millenia I have guarded the Archmage from dangers that approach. But I shall settle that with you, if thy beat me in combat I shall give you my scales and this scroll. Using these you shall craft an elixir, and you will take it from there."

Hope surged in Blaire's heart once more. She stepped forward boldly, magic twining protectively around clenched fists. As the dragon reared with a roar, Ben cried out behind her desperately "Blaire! Stop! We need to leave! Why do you want to go back to her? She almost got us killed! Got you killed!".

To Ben's terror, Blaire ignored him. Would her abilities be enough?The dragon swooped, snapping jaws where Blaire stood moments before. She rolled aside, unleashing azure bolts which glanced harmlessly off its hide. It breathed crimson fire, scorching the earth before her feet.

Dodging and weaving, Blaire searched desperately for an opening. Finally spotting a chink in its armored underbelly, "Gotcha" She whispered as she summoned every ounce of magic into a defiant shriek. Her light power bolt struck true with an echoing crack, eliciting a pained roar from the beast.

As it crashed to the ground stunned, Blaire collapsed weakly alongside, panting from exertion. The dragon stirred moments later, inclining its mighty head towards her. "You have proved your mettle, young girl. Take these scales with my blessing, and use them well against the darkness below."

Its claw glowed briefly before retreating, leaving behind a glittering pile of garnet dust. Blaire smiled through tears of joy and relief as she staggered to her feet, turning to hug Ben joyfully.