Chapter 10

Using the dragon scales, Blaire carefully crafted the elixir according to the ancient recipe. As the final ingredient was added, a pulsing light built within the depths of the cauldron until—BOOM! A shockwave blasted through the cave, knocking Blaire and Ben back.

When the dust settled, Blaire peered into the cauldron. The bubbling liquid was gone, replaced by a perfect emerald cut gemstone glowing with inner power. Blaire lifted it gently, gasping as energy coursed through her veins. "This, This stone! It's identical to the Archmages." Blaire laughed as she put the emerald in her pocket. "Let's go"

As they tread out of the cave back into the forest, Blaire's orb-light revealed no signs of disturbance. Still, they descended with caution.

The forest was eerily quiet. Too quiet. "Yeah no, I'm not doing this bull." Ben sighed as he turned around to the Cave. As soon as they entered, Blaire's gasp echoed through the cave. The cauldron had disappeared, along with the scroll. "Oh no! The scroll" Blaire ran to the centre, where scribbled runes flickered dimly:

"You thought you escaped unnoticed, little ones. I have waited long for one with your gift, child. Join me willingly, or the village will burn!"An eerie voice echoed. "The Archmage." Blaire's blood ran cold. "Go, GO!" Blaire screamed as the cave started to rumble, the crystals crumbling to the ground as rock crashed alongside it. Ben stopped at the cave's exit as a bright red crystal lay shining. "Ben! Let's go!" Blaire yelled as she grabbed Ben's wrist, he quickly snatched the crystal before they emerged in the dead of night.

To the west, an orange glow lit the sky—fire! They dashed toward the village as screams rent the air.

Flames had engulfed several homes, trapping people inside. Blaire pulled water from the well in a shimmering sphere, dousing the inferno from afar as Ben helped the injured.

Among the wreckage, Blaire found something that made her heart stop—an unconscious man amidst the ashes, singed ginger hair falling loose from his helmet. "Ben!" she cried, dragging him from the rubble. Ben helped carry him to the healer as Blaire scanned the ruins. No sign of the attackers or the Archmage, but their message was clear.

As villagers shook from the attack, Blaire couldn't stop shaking her leg. She felt angry, she felt pity, and she felt sad. "Blaire! He's awake." She hear Ben call. She ran over to the ginger-haired man. "Hello, My name is Blaire. What is your name?" She said softly as the man looked at her with wild eyes. "J-Joaquim" he shook. "Hello Joaquim, I need you to tell us who did this." Ben said as the man squeezed his eyes. "Crimson" He muttered. "I'm sorry what was that Joaquim?" Blaire questioned. "Crimson hair! Long, green!" He screamed in terror as he rocked back and forth. "I need you to calm down Joaquim, listen to me~~~~" As Ben's voice trailed off, Blaire stormed out of the hut. "I'm coming for you Archmage." She hissed