Chapter 4

Under the veil of nightfall, Alice knocked onto Percy's door, the door flung open and Percy stood with a bright smile. Alice rolled her eyes and started to leave. Right behind her, Percy crept from the dormitories, senses on high alert as they slipped past the groundskeepers unnoticed. Fog rolled thickly among the trees as they entered the forest, muffling even the hoot of owls in the boughs overhead.

Alice withdrew the aged photo by moonbeam, studying the girl's sharp features for clues to her whereabouts. As if summoned, a faint blue glow pulsed deeper within the woods. "Look!" she slapped Percy's arm. The blue glow started to move away, "Percy! Hurry!" Alice sprinted, with Percy treading behind her.

The 2 kept running until at last they burst into a small clearing bathed in an ethereal azure radiance. At its center floated a snowy white rabbit, button eyes aglow like miniature moons. But its mistress was nowhere to be seen.

That's when Alice felt it - a familiar tingling in her palms, the sure sign of her mysterious abilities activating once more. She whirled just as shadowy figures detached from the trees. Only their glowing red eyes were visible, but the sinister aura was unmistakable.

Alice sensed Percy pull up short behind her, a baseball bat suddenly brandished before them. "State your purpose!" he attempted to demand boldly, though his voice wavered. The figures paused, then as one spoke in twisted unison: "The Archmage commands your presence. Come with us peacefully...or suffer the consequences."

Before Alice could react, Percy swung with all his might. But his weapon passed harmlessly through smoky forms. "Percy what are you- "She yelped as thorns snaked from the earth, ensnaring them both where they stood. The thorns sharp as a wolf's fangs sunk into her legs, her head went fuzzy and her body went numb. As consciousness faded, Alice looked over at Percy, his body slumped over as blood oozed from various parts of his body. She wondered for if the Archmage had them in her clutches, things weren't going to end well for the 2 of them.