Chapter Eight

A few days later Stella was bored. No, she was beyond bored.

Her eyes flicked over the stalls seeing another kid, or a thing that looked like a kid trying to sneak a piece of jewelry from the table. Flicking her finger, a slice of wind smacked the kid on the bottom. Jumping, he jerked around only to find Stella staring directly at him with a knowing look.

Eyes widening as he realized she'd been watching him, she motioned towards the group of Hibari's people hanging around.

Seeing them, he lowered his head and shoved his hands into his pockets before taking off.

Satisfied that it had taken care of the issue, she turned around only to find a straw in her face. Well, the straw was attached to a cup that was held by an arm. Soon after that, she met Christian's knowing eyes. "What?" she asked annoyed, snatching the cup out of his hand.

"I saw that," he said with a wiggle of his brows. "You're soft-hearted."

"Shut-up," she said, rolling her eyes before taking a sip. "I just don't think the idiot kid even realizes what he's doing. Probably thinks it'll make him popular with his friends."

"Kids are not innocent," Christian said, with an easy tone. "He's stolen before," laughing at Stella's shocked look. "I let him go yesterday."

Groaning, Stella shoved her drink in his hand, "I'll be right back."

"Ah, ah, ah, leave him," Christian using his Lykan strength to pull her back to his side before she went after the brat. Handing back her drink, he escorted her towards the red section, "We need to talk about you not wanting to come out tonight."

"Tonight?" Stella repeated, trying to think of what Christian was talking about. "What's tonight?"

He rolled his eyes at that, "We're all getting together and going to the bar in downtown Salem. Tammie told me you said you weren't going."

"Oh, that...She told you right. I'm not going." Stella said as they passed a few witches talking amongst themselves over the price of a cauldron. One of them held the hand of a little girl with green ribbon braided through her hair. "You should know why."

So far Stella had succeeded in avoiding any activity that had something to do with Cole or werewolves in general. Maybe she'd been too good at avoiding them if dingbat Christian was approaching her now. He gave her a reproachful look, "You can't mean to keep living like a hermit?"

"And why not?" Stella asked, chewing on her straw as they strolled along. "It's not like I'd be good company anyway. I've been banished from the girl outings." She said, not sounding the least bit sad about it.

He scoffed at that, "Don't act like you didn't know what you were doing when you told Cherry, she was a dick away from an STD."

Stella shrugged, smirking, "She was," she said defensively when Christian shot her look from the side. "I was only trying to make sure she knew."

Rolling his eyes, Christian parted his lips to speak only to pause. His eyes were sharpening. He jerked his chin up. Following his alert gaze, Stella could feel an odd stillness in the air. "Something's not right."

Stella nodded, as she searched the crowd for what they both could feel. Both of them tensed when a loud rushing sound, like a train off the tracks, grew. The wind whipped up, and the ground trembled. Christian reached out and grabbed her arm. "Don't!" She yelled as the noise grew louder. "I can—!" Before she could finish, the ground a few feet away exploded upwards.

People screamed. A fire erupted upwards, shooting straight into the sky. Staggering back, both Stella and Christian stared in silent shock at the sight before a growl forced Christian to move in front of Stella.