Chapter Ten

After his pronouncement, Stella didn't move. She didn't even dare to breathe.

 Then she was backing away. Her feet carried her back until she bumped into the door. Her eyes were wide, and she stared at him incredulously, as her hand scrambled for the handle. Grabbing it, she pulled the door open and slipped out.

Xavier watched her retreat in silence, unsure of what he had said to cause her quick departure. She hadn't said anything, but the look of terror hadn't been feigned. In truth, she'd looked at him as if he was crazy, and that was saying something considering what he said hadn't been crazy or a joke. He frowned, turning his gaze towards Grigori, silently he motioned for him to follow his mate.

She would return to his side. She wouldn't be able to resist. After all, they were now tied to each other.

~E.L.K~

So, focused on getting away from the mad king, Stella had walked quickly back the way she'd come. Her bare feet slapped against the cold marble, and her cheeks felt hot. She didn't know why his announcement of wanting a child had her stomach quivering and her heart pounding. Her reactions weren't making sense. She should have been horrified, mortified, and disgusted when he'd stated what would allow her freedom...a child?

Yet, she has been so startled by his statement that she felt the embarrassment, shyness, and a very, very strange sense of excitement. Giving a shake of her head, she bit her lips. Something was definitely wrong with her.

She didn't want a mate!

She didn't need one!

Mates were a system of bullshit that hurt others involved.

Boosted by her thoughts, Stella's eyes narrowed on the windows at the end of the long hallway. She smiled. She'd been waiting for just this type of opportunity. Without thinking, she ran for it. Her arms were pumping. Her limbs were slowly wrapped by wind, and just as she heard the guard who'd been trailing her scream out, she pushed off and stepped on the sill as she flew out.

The cold wind whipped up around her. The edges of the sheets lifted. She didn't bother pushing them down. Her eyes widened, as she took in the sight of the land that surrounded her. Her arms were swinging. She twisted and let herself fall. The trees rushed towards her, and she could hear her name being called, but she didn't bother to look back.

Quickly moving her arms, she forced the trees to bend aside, and with the same focus, she jerked her arm up, forcing the earth to rise and catch her feet. Using it as a springboard, she flipped upside down, before landing safely crouched. All of the nature that assisted her snapped back into place. Standing, she looked up at the castle, "See, easy."

With that, she took off running into the thick brush of the woods. The smells and sounds were the same as any forest. The birds, or were they bats? They rushed through the branches when she disturbed them from their rest. Her grin grew as she free ran, not holding back the wind or earth that shifted around her.

How long had it been since she'd been able to run free? The red sun no longer seemed threatening as she grew closer to it. Her feet barely brushed the ground before she was already moving forward. She couldn't withhold the grin that came to her lips. She pushed off the ground. Spinning she widened her arms, so the wind lifted her higher. Her heart felt like it would explode.

Just as she broke the top of the trees, she met an amused gaze. Her breath caught, as his hand lashed out grabbing her arm and pulled her closer in his grip, she lost control and fell without the support of her wind spirit. He held her as she hung by said hand.