Chapter Nine

Moving along the hallway, Xavier held his prize close to his chest. The servants he passed lowered their eyes away from him. He reached his chamber and quickly settled her amongst his crimson sheets. Her body was light and shifted as if seeking a warmth that was no longer provided.

Pulling away, he brushed his fingers against her cheek. The smoothness of her skin was calling to him. Ignoring the temptation to join her, he left the bedchamber closing the door behind him. He still had to meet with the others to provide them with the information he'd received from Ou, the Yokai family's head.

Long ago, there'd been the realms that had been split apart and given to the most powerful amongst the creatures of myth. The five strongest Families, including his own, had placed their claim on the shadow realms. It had been expected, although the demons they ruled over didn't seem to agree, but they couldn't continue fighting as the years rolled on.

Leaving the west wing, he headed below to the main room where the other families met.

Entering the room, he gave a nod to Jakub, who stood near the door with his hands behind his back.

"The King finally appears," This sarcastic statement came from Yessica, the Queen of the Castil family. She was red headed and possessed lavender eyes. Her beauty had haunted many men's dreams. She lifted her hand up for him to kiss. "We were worried that your...personal business would keep you from joining us."

Xavier's lips lifted in a semblance of a smile, but the laughter did not reach his eyes, "I would never do so. I know it is difficult for each of you to leave your kingdoms." He drew back, dropping her hand gently. She lowered it, smoothing over her black, body-hugging dress.

"Yessica has little patience," An older man said, giving Xavier a welcoming hug, "She's been stressed of late with grooming her daughter for her role."

At that Yessica scoffed. Shooting the older male, a look of annoyance, she said, "That is not the only reason. I am also annoyed that she refuses to pick a suitor of my liking." She rolled her eyes, "She keeps speaking of love and such.... It is positively nauseating to hear, Cruz."

He shook his head, his pepper colored hair, adding to his handsome features. He lifted a single brow revealing bright copper colored eyes, "You Castils have always married for power. My son is now searching the human realm for a mate...I expect to hear good news soon, once he is done." He clicked his tongue, "I'll finally be able to retire, as I wished."

"So, it's true," A youthful voice spoke up, garnering the three's attention. A young boy entered followed by a large male who held his coat. His brown eyes and oak colored skin didn't deter from the age in his eyes, "You're going to retire?"

Cruz nodded while smiling. His fondness for the child was clear for all the see. "Yes, Anise...I've lived too long, and the kingdom needs new blood."

"I wish I could do the same," Anise said, releasing a sigh, before shrugging, "But I would first have the witch who cursed me release me from this child-like body." His form disappeared in a flash of blood-magic, and after a second, it dispersed revealing a tall, thin male. His delicate features almost made him appear feminine. "But sadly, I have yet to find her...and finding a mate is hard when one must be a child for half the day."

"Then why not simply seduce her as a man," Yessica asked, flippantly.

Anise smiled with a look of patience on his face. That suited Cruz far more than it did him. "I would do so, but my magic is weak in the human world."

"How many times has he explained that to you, Yessica," A sardonic voiced asked, as a hand landed on his shoulder. A young woman, who wore ripped jeans and a long shirt that read "Spicy" on the front asked. Her beige skin held a tint of red, and she pulled on the end of her dyed green dreads as she clicked her tongue, "Anise will one day show his rumored temper if you keep asking him the same question every time we meet."