♚ Chapter 11♚

Playing Dumb

We were silent the whole ride until we reached our destination.

If I were an average citizen, I would have gawked at the mansion in front of me. It was enormous and very classy. I look around the area. Aside from the massive mansion, all I can see are trees.

"Why did you bring me here?" I asked.

I didn't notice that the car already stopped by the front door of the mansion.

Suddenly, somebody opened the door on Axel's side. "You'll find out soon." he said before going out.

Is he planning to kill me?

No. If he does, he should've done that when we're still in Las Vegas.

I just shook my head and decided to get out.

"Welcome Mademoiselle." An old man wearing a suit greeted.

"I am Reeves, the head butler of this manor." He introduced himself with a smile as he took my hand and give it a kiss. He got a strong French accent, I noticed.

"Nice to meet you Mr. Reeves." I greeted back with a smile. He seems like a good person.

I look up and saw Axel waiting for me by the entrance while holding his laptop.

"This way Madamoiselle." Mr. Reeves led me to the stairs.

The moment I entered the Mansion, I gasped.

It can't be.

I look around the hall.

It was the same!

I looked up and saw the same chandelier. It's turned off, but with those glass orbs, it'll look like glowing spheres when lit up.

"Something wrong?" Asked Axel with a frown evident on his face.

"I-..." I started but stopped when I saw the grand staircase.

I didn't realize that I'm spacing out when Axel tap my shoulder.

"Hey."

I got startled and look at him.

"Who owns this house?" I asked curiously.

"My father." He answered. "Stop spacing out. We'll discuss about your mission tonight." He said then walk away.

It took me a second before my mind processed what he just said.

Mission?

"What mission!?" I asked incredulously.

I saw him enter an oak door opened by Mr. Reeves at the far end of the hall.

"Hey, wait!" I immediately followed him.

Mr. Reeves left after we both entered the room. Looking around, I guess that it was Axel's office.

Axel took his sit on the couch. "Sit." He ordered like I'm a pup. It annoyed me, but I didn't let it get to me. I took the seat across him.

Suddenly, a maid entered the room and serve us some tea. When she's done, she left.

Axel puts his laptop on the table and turned it on.

"Explain to me what madness are you spouting?" I started.

Axel averted his attention from his laptop to mine.

"It's not nonsense, Miss Tasha. As you can see, you owned the jewel I've been looking for years."

I suddenly remembered our short talk in Las Vegas before boarding the plane.

"What's so special with this stone? As far as I know, this is only a simple gem stone given to me by my grandfather."

"I'm afraid that stone is far from simple."

"But my grandfather said it's only a simple black gemstone. A family heirloom and a charm. He said I should always keep it with me."

There's a sudden change in Axel's demeanor.

"If that's what he told you." He paused. "Then, he must have been rotting in hell now for lying to his granddaughter." He said wickedly.

"How dare you talk like that about my grandfather." I said abhorred.

Outrageous! How dare he disrespect my grandfather. The once great king of our land. I tried my hardest not to lose my composure.

"Apologize." I demanded.

He took a sip from his tea and look at me coldly.

"I will never apologize, for I have done nothing wrong." He said acidly.

"You disrespect my grandfather right in front of me. That's what you have done wrong." I countered.

"A disrespectful man doesn't need my respect Miss Tasha."

"You don't even know him for you to judge him."

"Believe me when I say I do."

I was taken aback by his statement.

"What do you mean?" I'm pretty sure that naked shock is plastered all over my face.

"No more beating behind the bush...I know who you are Tasha or should I say your highness."

I paled after hearing the title he called me.

Snap out of it Tasha! Speak! Don't show him that you're guilty.

"Who are you calling Your Highness?" I tried my best to sound and look confused, but I only earned a smirk from the man in front of me.

"Play dumb all you want, but let me warn you little princess... Never underestimate a Montblac when you see one." He warned.

Montblac. I've heard that family once, but I can't remember when and where.

Looking at Axel, from his luxurious possessions up to his coldness that could even freeze a polar bear who lives in Antarctica, I can tell that he's not an ordinary person.

He's a very cunning man and the type that can't be fooled easily.

Admitting defeat, I asked. "Why are you doing this?"

"Wrong question." He said making me knit my brows.

"If you want this stone I'll give it to you on a silver platter. Just let me go." I bargained.

"Promising, but not enough for what I want."

This guy is so confusing!

I clasp the necklace on my neck trying to get the courage. I've been meaning to ask him this question, but I just don't have the chance to speak it out loud.

"What do you want?" I finally asked.

A smile crept out from his face. The same smile I saw back then at the airport.

"I want you."

End of Chapter 11