♚ Chapter 2 ♚

Hit And Run

Life outside the palace, where every corner screams luxury, is a struggle as what everyone says. I never thought it was easy in the first place, but experiencing it first-hand, I must say that I salute the commoners. If I didn't study the way they live, I would have become their laughing-stock just because I didn't know simple things such as; paying for anything you eat or how to hail a cab or ride a public bus.

One day, while I was busy eating my breakfast at some diner. I saw a news about a princess causing havoc while visiting a foreign country. Even though they didn't drop any names, I know they're talking about me. I even heard the girl near my table commented something about how stupid I was for running away when I had everything. Oh boy, I'm tempted to strangle her, but I didn't. I can't afford to get caught just because I got into a fight.

It's been almost a week ever since I put everyone into frenzy. I've jumped from one state to another just to make sure that nobody is following me. Now, I'm driving a four-wheeled beetle I rented in Arizona. I'm on my way to Las Vegas, my last stop before I board a plane going to Tokyo, Japan. I've always wanted to visit that country because the people and their culture fascinates me. Back home in Atlantria, I met a Japanese maid. She once told me that Sakura trees are the most beautiful sight especially during spring in Japan. That's also one of the reasons why I choose that country. I wanted to see the cherry blossom trees even though they're not in full bloom.

The sun is at its peak. Even though I'm only wearing a tank top and a pair of shorts, my clothes are damp with sweat. Feeling the dryness of my throat, I picked up the water bottle on the passenger seat and drink it to clench my thirst. Afterwards, I turn on the radio. When I heard the song being played, I smiled.

"It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all,

"It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me,
I'm free!"

When the song reached its chorus, I can't help but sing along with the song. "Let it go, Let it g-" I immediately stop singing when I heard the car engine made some strange noises. Moments later, the engine broke and the car slowly stops. 

"Great! Just great! Ugh!" I said exasperatedly and hopped off the car to check the damage.

When I opened the hood of the car, a thick white smoke greeted me. The radiator's roasted and I'm out of water. I look around the area to look for signs of life, but I found no one except for rocks and a few cactuses.

Frustrated, I slumped on the passenger seat. "Now what am I gonna do?" I asked myself in defeat. Here I am stuck in the middle of nowhere with only a broken beetle for a companion.

I sighed. Why am I so unlucky?

How am I suppose to get out of this place? I still got a flight to catch tomorrow morning. I need to hitch a ride from someone, but no one's around except some birds soaring in the sky.

I ran my fingers through my now jet black hair out of frustration. I decided to dye my blonde hair a few days ago when I almost got caught because somebody recognized me.

VROOOOM

A faint sound of a car engine brought me back from my chain of thoughts.

From a distance, I saw a white car running at an incredible speed. As the car advances towards my direction, I did the unthinkable. I blocked the way by standing in the middle of the road and started to wave both of my hands. "Stop the car! Stop the car!" I shouted as I frantically flap like a chicken. Yes, that's how you'll describe what I'm doing now.

I need to make this car stop and help me. I know that there's a 50% chance that it will happen and another 50% chance that it will just run over me. I wish it'll be the former. I don't want to die yet!

As the car goes near, I can't help but gawk at it. It's a freaking sports car! Perhaps, a Ferrari or Lamborghini? I don't know, but it's not slowing down!

Maybe the driver decided it'll be the latter since there'll be no witness if I got hit and run over, but what about his conscience? I think the driver still had morality left inside of him. He won't kill me, right?

What the hell am I thinking?

I stood my ground and didn't move, but my feet and legs start to shake.

'Am I going to die?' I ask myself. Unsure of what lies ahead.

SCREECH

I closed my eyes waiting for an impact, but it didn't happen. When I opened them, I saw the car's bumper an inch away from me.

"Miss, are you okay?" I heard somebody asked, but my gaze never left the bumper. Suddenly, I felt a throbbing pain in my head. My vision starts getting blurry. As I collapse to the ground, I saw someone approaching me as the darkness completely consumes me.

♚ End of Chapter 2 ♚