Chapter 5

In the middle of the night, Hinoka arrived at the camp. She made an educated guess where Sakura was being held and was lucky.

Saul was asleep. Sakura was thrilled to see Hinoka. "Big sister!"

Hinoka gestured to Sakura to stay quiet and pointed to Saul. Sakura nodded and Hinoka took the key from Saul and unlocked the cage.

The sisters gave each other a big hug. Saul had a nightmare and woke up from it and saw Hinoka. "Who the hell are you?"

Hinoka grabbed Sakura's hand and ran out the tent and to the pegasus where they flew away safely.

"Well, shit." Saul saw them fly away. "I am as good as dead."

The next day, Caesar went to Saul to see the princess that was taken hostage. To his disappointment, she was missing. Saul had nothing to say to Caesar except this, "While I was asleep last night, someone came for her, my sincerest apologies Lord Caesar."

Caesar had Saul step out of the tent and was angry. "You failed the Legion by your incompetence and stupidity to not chase them!"

Saul nodded, "It won't happen. I can get her back, personally."

Caesar shook his head, "It won't happen again, because you will be punished eternally." He grabbed a sharp knife and gave Saul a huge deep cut on his left thigh. "Go die, you poor excuse for a general!"

Saul yelled and collapsed on the ground in pain. He quickly began to crawl away with his arms and good leg.

Meanwhile, Sakura and Hinoka were walking to Fort Jinya and noticed Saul crawling around. Hinoka was angry about him partaking in keeping Sakura hostage. She ran and kicked Saul onto his back and pressed her naginata onto his throat.

"You need to be executed for your crime. How dare you take my sister, the youngest princess of Hoshido, hostage, and shove her in a cage like an animal."

Sakura grabbed her weapon. "No, I won't l-let you. He spared me when I could have had it much worse. I could sense he wanted no part in this war. He was dragged into the army as a young boy. I am a priestess, I can forgive him."

Hinoka tried tugging away from Sakura. "Stop, he must be given capital punishment since we are in a war."

Saul spoke up. "Let your sister end me. I am already dying, please let her end my pain. I don't have time for religious fairytales. There are no gods, no need to forgive me for in the end it does not matter."

Hinoka pulled her naginata aside. "Sakura guilted me into sparing you, I don't feel like ending you since somebody already decided to kill you. Sakura, let's go."

Sakura followed Hinoka to Fort Jinya. Saul somehow ended up at the fort where he passed out on the wall. A guard mistook him for an escaped Hoshidon soldier and took him in to be healed.

When Sakura looked at him, she knew that he passed out from blood loss and healed his leg as repayment for sparing her from being held hostage by Caligula, who she could tell was a psychopath.

A while later, he woke up and knew he had to get out before someone recognized him and killed him. He figured since he was still alive and healed, he might as well keep living and moving on with life.

Sakura noticed he had woken up. "I am r-relieved you are okay."

He was spooked but was quickly calmed when he saw it was the gentle princess. "Your kindness was unexpected. I appreciate it but I need to get going before I am noticed by someone else."

She handed him some new clothes. "At least wear something new. Your outfit i-is covered i-in blood."

He nodded and made her turn around as he got dressed. Then he put his old clothes in a fire. "I won't miss that lifestyle anymore."

Sakura guided him to a certain point toward Izuma and told him to cross the border at night when the guard would be unable to see him.

Saul asked if he could give Sakura a thank you tradition from his homeland. She consented and he kissed her hand as a token of his thanks. He accidentally said goodbye in his native language but Sakura knew immediately he said goodbye. He ran off into the distance and Sakura went back to Fort Jinya.