Chapter 9

A year had passed by. Saul and Sakura were married with a child on the way. Sakura was two months pregnant.

Saul was finalizing the plan for the final assault on the Legion. "Caesar is a coward, he will send his finest warrior, Lanius to lead the army. I will confront Lanius since I know his fighting style the best. I don't want any royals on this mission because you need to protect your lineages."

Ryoma shook his head. "I am coming with you. Unlike Caesar, I am no coward."

"Yes but unlike him, you are not evil and your lineage ought to be protected."

Ryoma refused to obey Saul. Xander decided to be prudent and stay behind. Garon planned to steal the throne and overthrow Hoshido by claiming the castle while they were gone.

Hinoka had managed to come out of hiding because she made a deal with Garon to let her live. It was a fake deal which was she would relinquish a large sum of territory to Nohr.

Takumi was still missing but that was because he had been taken over by Anankos.

Saul placed his hands on Sakura's shoulders. "I do not want you coming. You are carrying our child. I cannot forgive myself if anything happened to you two."

She shook her head. "I cannot let you fight alone. I learned how to use a Yumi to help you."

"There is no point in helping me if you or our child end up dead."

"I c-can be careful."

"Promise me you will stay in the back?"

"I promise."

He smiled and gathered up the forces. "This is our last chance to push them out. If we take out the supreme general, Lanius, the Legion will be forced to retreat for good."

They all rushed into battle. Ryoma believed it was his duty to confront Lanius, so he rushed ahead to attack.

Saul was pissed that Ryoma just dashed away. "He doesn't even know what Lanius looks like. He better not do the someone who looks important method."

Ironically, Lanius was covered in gold armor and a gold mask covering his face.

Ryoma approached him. "Legion General, I am Ryoma, high prince of Hoshido! I challenge you to single combat!"

Lanius pulled out a silver sword. "I accept but I am not any Legion General. I became THE BEST general after Saul Bates disgraced himself."

Ryoma used his Raijinto to attack from a distance but it did no damage. "What?!"

Lanius laughed and engaged in physical combat with him.

"You are a worthy opponent." Ryoma grunted as he tried to penetrate Lanius' armor.

"I wish I could say the same for you." He kicked Ryoma.

Saul was rushing to aide Ryoma and prevent him from being killed. Sakura disobeyed Saul and safely followed without being noticed by the enemy.

It was not long before Ryoma was overwhelmed by Lanius' strength.

Ryoma grabbed the blade of his weapon. "I will not fall into the hands of the enemy. As a samurai, I will do what I must." He committed sepaku.

"NO!!!" Sakura screamed from behind. She was crying.

Saul turned around to see Sakura. He rushed to her to prevent her from going to Ryoma. "You can't do anything. Lanius will kill you and our child." He had her climb up a tree to hide. "I will avenge your brother."

Saul ran fast as he could to Lanius. "You will pay for what you've done!"

"Well if it isn't the disgraceful man who failed a simple duty. You should have died a long time ago whem you failed to keep a princess as prisoner. I shall complete your punishment!"

Saul knew Lanius' armor pretty well since he had worked with him a few times overseas in his continent. He knew that there was one spot where there was a crack to loosen the armor.

They fought for some time before Saul wedged his sword in Lanius' armor and it fell apart. Saul took the advantage to cut off his head to ensure he would remain dead. "It's over. It's finally over."

When the Legion troops noticed Lanius was dead, they immediately retreated to remove their items from their camps and sail back.

Sakura came down from the tree and hugged Saul. "We won!" She started crying again. "But R-Ryoma is dead."

Saul gave her a kiss. "I am so sorry for your... our loss. I am sure he is in a better place watching you."

"That's hard to believe because you believe in nothing."

Saul shrugged his shoulders, "Your country has been influencing me."

When they reached the castle, they learned that Garon was defeated. The Nohrians tried seizing the throne while they were gone.

Corrin approached Sakura and Hinoka. "I regret to say this but Takumi was possessed. We fought him. He is dead. I am so sorry."

Sakura went on her knees and started banging on the ground with her fists. "Why i-is my family falling apart?!"

Hinoka had finished assessing the damage done by the Legion and the Nohrians. "Besides enslaving a few towns to get food, they had not done physical damage to the kingdom. They stayed put with their ultimatum to destroy the royal family, us." Then she pointed to the Nohrian royals. "However, you all went on a slaughtering quest! You killed our mother. You chickened out on us and tried to usurp the throne behind our backs. Instead of trying to help Takumi, you killed him!"

Corrin shook her head. "Takumi was beyond saving. He was dead when we got to him. Someone was possessing him to try to kill me."

"Forgiveness will be hard but I am desparate to have peace with Nohr. As the new queen of Hoshido, I will see to it we begin fair trading with Nohr so they can have more food. I need to be coronated tomorrow so the people freak out that they have no ruler."

Hinoka turned to Sakura and Saul. "Will you two like the honor of being my advisors? I cannot bear this burden alone."

Both of them nodded.

Later, the Hoshidon royals reluctantly went to Xander's coronation due to them struggling to forgive their damage. They had not forgiven the Legion for their damage but felt like due to the history of the tension between Nohr and Hoshido, Nohr did more pain and damage.

Everything was finally going well, but not for long.

Caesar was on his throne, very mad. "I need revenge on Saul."

A spy known for successful espionage volunteered to go back to Hoshido and find something to help Caesar. The spy left and returned with news. "I know that you are not interested in marrying but you need an heir one day. Saul and his wife are having a child in six months. Would you be interested in me kidnapping his wife and have her give birth here?"

Caesar chuckled, "Yes. I would love that. In addition, we will execute his wife after their child's birth."