Chapter 8

Saul drew out a map of the Legion's current standings. "In order to stall time, I propose we free the female slaves in the eastern side of the camp. That will occupy the soldiers for a bit to delay their assault."

  Ryoma studied his plan, "And what if the women are caught?"

  "I have thought about that part and all of the possibilities. A few will successfully escape. The rest if they are lucky, will not be killed. The unlucky ones will be executed for their escape. I know it sounds horrible but freeing them is our easiest chance of stalling the Legion."

  Garon silently watched them formulate a plan. This was his best chance of ruling Hoshido forever and not for several weeks.

  Saul drew the way in and out. "I will need you, Lord Ryoma and the blonde hair prince." He pointed at Xander.

  "My name is Xander, crown prince of Nohr, and do you expect me to help the Hoshidon dogs?"

  "Yes, if you want to live. If the Legion catches you, they will kill you to set an example to your kingdom."

  Xander sighed and consented to the plan.

  Ryoma reluctantly agreed, "I suppose I can work with the Nohrian scum for a bit."

  Takumi walked in the room, "You will need me and my legendary weapon."

  Ryoma was happy to see Takumi, "I was worried for your safety."

  Iago and Garon were mad he was still alive, but it made sense since they could not find his body at the bottom of the wall.

  Saul pointed to Garon, "I just need one more person, a healer. Not the one with insanely long pigtails as it seems she wants to remain on her horse and going on foot is the most quiet option. By any chance, have you seen the youngest princess of Hoshido. Sakura? She is a fantastic healer who does not require a horse."

  He was unable to bear the thought of Sakura waiting for who knew how long in hiding. He did not want his girlfriend to be at risk for the Legion kidnapping her, again.

  Garon gave his consent. Saul went to the Nohrian camp and struck a deal with the guards to not tell Garon Sakura escaped. He went to where Sakura and Hinoka were hiding. "Good news, Sakura can come out. I need her for a mission, she will no longer be at risk for being kidnapped again. I will be right beside her.

  Hinoka was upset. "Do you think I am incompetent to protect my sister?"

  Saul was a bit embarrassed. "Well, no. I just need a healer and she is the best one I know. Also, it would be nice to have a mission with my girlfriend."

  "P-please let me go, Hinoka. I trust him and I am tired of hiding here."

  "Okay okay." Hinoka sighed. "Just know if you are caught again, I will have his head. I am okay with you dating him but I draw the line at failure of your safety."

  Saul gave Sakura a hug. "You will not be disappointed."
  After gathering a small army, they left in the night to maximize coverage. Everyone took quiet steps as Saul picked the lock with the katana he was given. "Psst, you all are free to go. Be quick and quiet."

  The women excitingly rushed out of the cage as quietly as possible. Ryoma and Xander assisted in escorting them far away.

  Ryoma pointed toward a forest. "You may stay there and build a settlement until the war is over. We cannot promise you safety but this is better than sitting in a cage."

  All of the women left, except one. She shyly approached Saul. "Excuse me, is your name Saul?"

Saul nodded, "Yes but do I know you?"

  The woman shook her head, "I believe it to be impossible. However, I might know you. By any chance, do you have a round one inch birthmark on the upper left side of your back?"

  He thought it was a weird question but had a feeling it was worth it to show and consent. He took off his shirt. On his back was the symbol of the Legion that was branded on his back along with the initials of his former slave owner.

  The woman started crying. "It's you! It's really you!" She gave Saul a big hug. "After all these years, I was losing faith I would see you again, Saul Bates."

  "Uhh..." He was lost for words. "What do you mean? I don't remember you."

  "Allow me to introduce myself. I am Sally Bates. I was a wealthy politician with my husband, your father. When you were born, we caught whim that Caesar believed we were going to attempt to overthrow him. We resigned and moved to a village outside the Legion's territory. Everything was lovely for a month until the Legion arrived. Your father was killed, I was sold to a noble, and you were taken away from me."

  Xander readied his weapon. "She could be lying. How can a birthmark determine if he is your son?"

  Sally nodded, "I know it seems unbelievable but the birthmark runs on his father's side of the family. The dragon god blessed his ancestors with a mark as a reminder if they remained faithful, they would have political power to keep the continent stable."

  Ryoma rolled his eyes, "Clearly all a lie. You lost your power by resigning."

  "It wasn't an easy choice." She replied, "We were concerned for the safety of Saul. We forfeited our blessing for the sake of the child. We decided to remain faithful to our deity and we were aware that promises can be broken." She gently held Saul's hands. "He has his father's hair color and his eye shape is a blend of mine and his father's."

  Saul gestured Ryoma to stand down. Sally pulled up a small pendent she was lucky to keep for all those years. "I understand that you won't believe me. You were only a month old when I lost you. You may keep this." She ran off into the woods.

  Saul had Sakura chase after Sally. He knew it would be a suicide mission but he wanted to see if the familial records of politicans was in Caesar's tent.

  He snook in, successfully avoiding the centurions and generals and the slave army. Caesar was asleep and snoring. Saul used the moonlight as a way to see what was in the tent.

  He found the chest of former political leaders. Fearing he had little time to look through the whole book, he took it and vanished before he could be caught. He knew he was lucky that nobody noticed him.

  Saul rendeveud with Xander and Ryoma. He started flipping through the book.

  "What language is this?" Xander looked over his shoulder.

  "One that was invented a long time ago to create a new culture." Saul quickly flipped through the book that was made in alphabetical order. He found his lastname, Bates.
"This is what it says, Lord Samu Bates and Lady Sally Bates (formely Sally Bonfils) with child Saul Bates."

  Ryoma interrupted him. "That's not enough proof you are that woman's son."

  Saul cleared his throat. "There is more details. The Legion officials love reading records of past politicians. It is a book of entertainment to them. Any false information put is punishable with death as the Legion officials see it as treason to put false history."

Saul took a deep breath. "Anyway, it says that a trait the Incultas have is a birthmark in the upperleft part of the back. They claim it is a blessing from the dragon god which promises political power in exchange for faithfulness. This is what Sally was claiming."

  Then he noticed there were recorded fingerprints on the pages next to the names of the people. "Can you get me some ink and paper?" He looked at Xander.

  Xander promptly gave him ink and a paper. "What for?"

  "To see if mine matches. Each human has their own unique fingerprint." He compared the one he just did to the one in the book. "She is..."

  Sakura came back with Sally. "I h-have her."

  Saul immediately took her fingerprint and compared it to the one recorded in the book. "You really are my mother." He tried to not cry as he and Sally hugged.