Chapter 11

Saul woke up the next morning. Sakura was not next to him. He was worried something happened or she went into labor behind his back.

He ran around the capital looking for her. A villager stopped him as he was running around. "Excuse me, are these things your wife's?" He presented Saul with her lantern and incense burner.

When Saul looked at the things, he started freaking out. He noticed under his foot that there was a small bull-pin. He put Sakura's things aside and clenched his fists. "Caesar."

The villager was confused. "You mean the emperor who retreated? Why would he want your wife?"

"Not my wife, my child. He wants revenge. What better way to make me suffer than taking away my kid? Knowing him, he will kill Sakura after she gives birth. Two birds with one stone. I got to go save them."

He delivered the news to Hinoka who gave him her blessing to bring them home. She ensured he had a nice boat to sail on and food to stay strong.

Meanwhile, Sakura was stressed about the fate of her baby and herself. It got bad to the point where she ended up in labor. The guards nearby heard her pain and before they could tell her to shut up, they saw what was happening and informed Caesar who was surprised he did not have to wait long for the child to be born.

When Saul reached the shore, a few hours later, he immediately ran to the forest so he could get to Caesar's palace without being spotted by the numerous guards around the capital.

The capital was not far inland, it was close to the sea. Saul remembered that there was a hidden passage that led to the dungeon. He found it during his early years as a young soldier.

When he made it, he carefully snuck in and took the passage to the dungeon, preparing to face any guards. As he safely rushed into the place, he was surprised there were no guards.

He heard Sakura screaming at the top of her lungs. Fearing she was being tortured, he sprinted with his sword in the air. He stopped when he noticed she was alone, giving birth.

He busted into the cell. "Sakura!" He held her hand. "I am so sorry."

"I-It's okay. It is not your fault I am here. I AM IN SO MUCH PAIN!!!" She squeezed his hand.

"Keep pushing, sweetheart. I see the head." He was excited that he was about to meet his child.

After a few more minutes, the baby was out. Saul cut the umbilical cord with his sword and wrapped the child in Sakura's shawl. "It is a boy."

Sakura smiled as she held the baby. "He is so adorable. What was the name you wanted if the baby was a boy? I forgot, sorry."

"It's okay." He hugged Sakura. "I wanted to name the baby if it was a boy, which he is, Vulpes. It means fox. Fox are sneaky and Vulpes snuck into our lives and made them better."

After another minute, Saul propped Sakura up to stand. "We have to get going before we are caught. Vulpes needs to be safe and back in Hoshido."

"Oh? Is that the name of my child?" A familiar voice came from behind.

"Caesar!" Saul brought Sakura and Vulpes out of the cell. "He is not your child, he is mine!" He turned to Sakura. "Run! Head to the end of the hall and turn left. There is a secret passage behind some vines. I will hold them off. Don't worry about me. Vulpes' and your safety are my priority. I swore to protect you and our child at all costs."

Sakura was tired from giving birth and struggled to run with the baby in her hands.

"It is pointless for your wife to run away. I know of the secret passage and sent guards to await her on the other side." Caesar drew out his lance.

"Damn you!" Saul ran away to outrun the soldiers. He quickly met up with Sakura. He used his sword to push through the soldiers on the other side of the secret passage.

They quickly came to a point where they were surrounded by soldiers. Saul looks down and sees that there is a moat below them. If they could quickly resurface from the water and get to the ground, Saul could carry Sakura and Vulpes to get all of them safely to the ship.

Saul had Sakura jump first. He was caught off guard and was attacked by a sword-wielding soldier. Saul quickly killed the soldier and noticed the rest were running away.

He was confused why but before he could jump in the water, a soldier that had hidden behind a pillar slashed at his dominant sword-wielding arm, resulting in his tendons being severed.

Saul was lucky he was not killed. He jumped in the water and struggled to resurface but managed to reach the ground. When he got up, he saw a soldier take Vulpes away from Sakura and push her on the floor. There were no other soldiers around.

Knowing he was unable to fight to get Vulpes, he used that opportunity to at least save Sakura. He grabbed her hand and went to the ship.

When they started sailing, Saul was overwhelmed with guilt. Sakura started crying as she managed to heal the cut caused by the enemy's sword but the tendons were unable to be cured with a healing rod.

Saul was so overwhelmed with guilt that he tried to end himself when they got back to Hoshido but was stopped by Sakura. Sakura could not blame him and Saul could not blame her either for losing Vulpes. Neither of them could have known Caesar wanted their son.