Part 4: Adam

Good thing there's a coffee shop just across the road.

We decided to chill out a bit, this day has gone extremely weird as of the moment.

We chose to sit around a  small round table located outside the cafe since it's cloudy and there was a good breeze of fresh air. I sat comfortably facing this beefy brown guy then the waiter came. She was a skinny blonde with a fruity scent and a sweet voice, "Good afternoon.What can I get for you?"

"Uhm. I'll get a cup of cafe latte and one blueberry cupcake please" I ordered. I really don't go much in coffee shops so I just chose what's written on the top of the menu.

Josie took a bit while in looking at the menu before he decided, "Just water."

The fair waiter repeated our orders and left.

Now Josie looked at me with his serious face (wrinkles formed in his forehead and all), "So how was it?

"Well..." I don't know how to start but he seems trustworthy so I have to be honest with him, "He would want to hire me for four thousand dollars a month."

"What!" His voice louder now, "You're not kidding right?"

"I'm not."I paused a little to form my thought, "Well, not as a designer though."

His left eyebrow rose and his mouth half open but he did not respond.

"He wants me to be the PA of his ex."

Josie seems a bit confused. "Seriously? Like why would he even do that?"

"I don't even know. But he mentioned something like people getting to bed with her, or something like that."

He giggled a bit, "Who would not want to get laid with Monica anyway? Well except me coz I won't"

"Monica? You mean Monica Pinto  the supermodel?"

"So you call yourself a designer and you don't know?"
"I'm not aware that she's his ex. I don't really care about the personal life of these people."

His serious face came back, "That CEO is a dick but.. what is your plan?"

"Seriously, I don't know."

"At least being a PA where you'll earn four thousand from that douchebag and an addition of a few more bucks from Monica is far better than lying in your smelly couch the whole day."

The waiter went back and served our orders, I gave a small smile and thanked her.

"You know I'm not sure if I'll take the offer. I feel something odd about it." Then I took a bite of my cupcake.

"But think about this, that could actually be a blessing in disguise. Being the PA of a star will make you closer to other designers and then, poof! It's your opportunity to get known."

I sipped my coffee instead of talking, it makes more sense.

Then suddenly "When you wish upon a star" from Walt Disney's Pinocchio started playing. It was my phone's ringtone. I just like Pinocchio since the story tells about something valueless that turns to be the life of another person. At least I want to be something of value someday cause I'm just so nothing right now.

I answered my phone, it was my Aunt Marie, "Hello."

I can sense that she's trying to be calm as she speaks, "Adam, where are you know?"

"In a coffee shop." I answered like I was unsure, "What's up?How's mom?"

"I hope you won't get shocked." her voice was calm, "She's at the hospital right now."

I was silent for a moment, my heart beat accelerates. My mom has a gruesome disease called ESRF, if I remembered it right, that's End Stage Renal Failure. She frequently have to attend her dialysis treatment but haven't got any for the last few weeks because of two reasons: first is that she's tired of the process, second is the lack of financial resource cause that's a pretty expensive one.

"How is she?"

"She's sleeping. She had her dialysis treatment a while ago, the doctor said it was really necessary."She took a deep breathe, "What concerns me is her hospital bills, you know the situation of your uncle and me right now."

"Don't worry about money, just make sure she'll get every necessary treatment she needs. I'll make a way just don't..."

"Oh the doctor is here, I'll call you later." Then the call ended.

 I looked straight at Josie, "I need to take this job."