Part 8: Adam

It's the end of my "first day of work", I'm home now and it's starting to get dark.

I'm lying in my couch and trying to evaluate the day when "when you wish upon a star" played, it was my phone ringing. I answered it without looking at the screen, I'm just so lazy during this time.

"Tell me what've you found out." It was Mr. Taylor, the way he speaks is the main distinction. He always sounds so powerful.

Damn, this person won't even ask me how's my first day. "She's fine" I answered.

"How's it going in Dynasty?"

"She seems to be the boss in that place. Everyone looks up to her."

"And how bout that Carlito guy?"

"I don't think she likes him."

"Good." he answered in a monotone, "I'll call you again anytime soon."

Then the call ended. That was fast as usual.

I was about to lie down again but the music played again. I thought it was him calling for the second time, but it's my Aunt Marie.

"Hello Aunt Marie."

"I'm sorry to bother you at this time, but the hospital already issued the bill and I don't know where I'll ask for help. You're the only person..."

Aunt Marie won't even ask me how my day was either. But regardless, I should stand at this responsibility I have with the woman who gave me life, "How much will that be?"

"It's around 2,300 dollars now. She's been undergoing a lot of treatments, and the medicines..."

"Okay I understand. When will be the due that of the bill?"

"There's a hospital policy that says we should pay the initial bill before the next treatments will be done. The due date, uhm let me see... It's on Saturday."

"Oh, Saturday." I paused to see the calendar on the wall, "Saturday is two days from now."

"Yes, I'm sorry to tell you just now." She started to sound panicky.

"Ok, I'll be there." Yes I'll be on an eight hour ride this Saturday, or probably tomorrow night to see my mom.

"Gracious Lord. Thank you, son."

"Keep safe and wait for me. If anything comes up, just call me."

"I will, I will. Sorry but you can't talk to your mom now coz she's asleep already."

"That's fine, I don't wanna disturb her anyway."

The talk lasted a couple more secs before it ended. My problem now is where I could get the money. Should I ask for advance pay? But it's just my first day, that's too much.

I was on the verge of thinking when the same song played for the third time. It's from an unknown number.

"Hello?"

"Hi. Are you home already?" It was a familiar female voice.

"Yes, may I ask who am I talking to?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. It's me, Monica. Just wanna ask if you wanna join me for dinner. I know work time is over but we can hang out like, you know, friends?"

Damn. That's one thing I forgot- Dinner. I haven't really ingested anything for the past couple of hours. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah no doubt. You've done a great job today, so it would be my treat."

A girl will pay for my dinner? No, that's something hard to swallow but, "Okay, where you at?"

"I'll fetch you."