1. Good thing I'm not desperate or anything

The bell above the door chimes as I push it open and step into the dwarves' pawn shop. The cheerful sound grates on my soul but I manage not to wince. The shop is filled beyond capacity. Mostly with cutlery, plates, and jugs in silver, but also candle holders, weird figurines, jewelry, and a ton of other stuff in gold, tin, and copper. Everything reflects the too-sharp light from the buzzing fluorescent lamps, making me squint. It smells like the home of an old person, some kind of polish, and–because I know exactly what to look for–magic.

Nina is perched on a stool behind the counter, which makes her as tall as me. Her thick red hair, two shades lighter than mine, is plaited over her shoulder. She's idly polishing a solid golden ball and wearing a T-shirt with Elsa from Frozen. I can't tell if it's some sarcastic statement or if she's embracing the human-child fashion.

I glance at the metal door hidden among the shelves as I approach her.

"You have something for me?" I ask and her head snaps up. Why do they even have the stupid bell if she doesn't hear it?

"You came."

"You texted. What do you have?"

Instead of answering, she smiles. "You look like shit."

I put both hands on the counter, trying to make my body feel less like a bag of sand I drag along with sheer willpower. It doesn't work.

When it's clear I won't dignify her comment with even the smallest acknowledgment she puts the golden ball down. I can't help but follow its movement. How many months of rent on both the apartment and Cera's place could I afford if I sold it? Six? Twelve?

"I have your book." She hops off her stool and begins rifling through the drawers of the armoire behind the counter. Standing on the floor, her head barely comes up to my waist.

I frown. What's she playing at.

"What book?"

"Here it is!" She ignores my question and wrestles the book from an overstuffed drawer and places it on the counter. Its blue, worn cover is adorned with a geometric pattern.

Recognizing the title as the one Alice mentioned, I fix Nina with a look in an attempt to unnerve her. "Who told you I was looking for it?"

She just smiles and pushes it towards me and I begin searching the many pockets of my worn, patched-up coat for my wallet, playing along with whatever this is, keeping my eyes on her.

"How much?" I ask, seriously doubting I have enough. I will probably have to come back after I've dropped off the Phoria at Li's. A bit ironic since the only reason I'm here is to put off seeing Li for another half hour.

She's back on the stool. Instead of answering, she bites her lower lip, fiddles with the end of her braid, and glances towards the metal door. There are washed-out purple streaks in her hair I didn't notice before.

I stop searching for my wallet and give her a pointed look. The buzzing of the lamps and the occasional laugh from upstairs are the only sounds breaking the dusty silence.

"Is it true?" she asks.

"Is what true?"

She leans over the counter and lowers her voice. Her brown eyes shine with curiosity and excitement.

"That you're doing magic now? Like, real magic?"

I stare at her. "No." I draw out the word so she understands how stupid her question is. "That would be very illegal of me."

She presses her lips into a thin line. "That's not what Li said."

I close my eyes and slump against the counter. Adding this to the pile of reasons I don't want to see the dark elf again. Ever. "And what exactly did Li say?"