5. I shouldn't have said that

Sometimes I have a problem identifying when I should shut up. Recently all those times seem to be happening when I'm with Li. Today is no exception. There is just something about him triggering the asshole in me. Taunting me to push all his buttons and test all his limits with no regard for the consequences.

"What do you want from me?" The question leaves my lips before I get a chance to examine if I really want to know the answer.

Li raises his eyebrow as if to say, 'Really?'

"Right now I want to have a drink with you."

"Why?"

"I want to get to know you."

"Why?"

The red in his eyes still refuses to stay put. I sure hope these side effects aren't permanent. I hate the way he looks at me right now, with a slight frown and a boatload of pity.

I focus on my drink. It's annoyingly good. My resolve is slipping. Whatever game we're playing, I'm losing.

"What's with the book?" he asks instead of answering me, which in hindsight is for the best. "Modern quantum mechanics? You're trying to impress someone?"

"No. It's an interesting topic. Worthy of study."

He gives me the 'Really?' look again. Pointlessly informing me I'm not trying nearly hard enough.

I take another gulp of my drink, emptying it. He has a new one in front of me before I get a chance to say no.

"Anything specific that caught your interest?"

"Why? You want to know how it did it?" The gin is already loosening my tongue.

Instead of getting mad, he smiles, like he always does when I say something that can be perceived as even close to flirting. "Maybe. If it's cryptic and complicated you want, I can manage that."

I scoff, sipping my drink. The concept of hating him is slipping through my thoughts and I blame the gin, the effects of the spell, and this weird warm feeling in my chest. That may be the gin counted twice.

I know I'll never be able to give him what he pretends to want from me. Or maybe he's trying to get into my pants for real? I've assumed the rumors about his love life were grossly exaggerated but maybe he really tries to bed every living being he meets.

I shut down the tangled bundle of emotions rising from that thought. It doesn't matter.

In a moment of weakness springing from a sudden unwanted flash of clarity into how impossible this connection is and how lonely that realization makes me, I reach into my pocket and retrieve the green, warm stone. Carefully putting it down on the table.

If he wanted it for himself he took a really convoluted way to get it. He barely glances at it before his red eyes are back on me, a satisfied smirk showing too-sharp teeth. I instantly regret showing it to him. He leans forward again, looking like he finally has me exactly where he wants me, effectively triggering all my defenses.

"It wouldn't kill you to show a smudge of gratitude, you know. A simple thank you would suffice. If you don't want to show it in some other, more intimate way?"

Because I'm an idiot, I'm not prepared for that, and my reaction reflects it.

Again, I blame the gin and the magic. And the vapor of acid his words create in my chest by confirming everything I already know.

"I'd rather be with a bastard between a troll and a goblin than with you," I seethe because it's the meanest thing I can think of.

I don't mean it, both alternatives are equally disgusting. No, being with Li would be less disgusting because at least I know him.
The smile drops and his face goes cold in a way I've never seen before. For the first time since I met him, he really looks like the shady, well-connected dark elf he is. The hairs on my neck are standing up and my instincts tell me to run. Too bad I can't. I still need my money. And preferably to fix this so I can come back for more next week if I need to.