13. Probably the worst idea I've ever had

A/N: Trigger warning: substance abuse

As my heart calms down I study the people. Most of them are humans looking like normal clubgoers. Or so I assume. But I also spot at least twenty dark elves mixed in. Standing at the bar or talking close to each other at the sparse group of over-occupied tables. And on the dance floor, of course, their heads with their pointy ears raised over the sea of people, clearly visible as they move to the music.

I even see a group of goblins with their pale greenish skin sitting at the bar, deep in conversation.

No dwarves.

I try to avoid looking too closely at what's happening on the dance floor but it covers ninety-five percent of the room so it's like avoiding looking at a troll standing a meter in front of you.

It's full of couples or groups grinding, grabbing and sucking at each other. Like the smoke and sharp, colored light cutting through it gives any form of privacy.

A dark elf looking like Elf A's nicer twin is shaking her long limbs, showing too much light gray skin in a white crop top and tiny jeans shorts, gathering four human guys and one girl around her. All at least a head shorter. I look away as one of the guys moves in behind her, grinding his hips against her ass, having to get up on his toes to reach.

I swallow a wave of nausea.

I can handle romance and even the occasional sex scenes in movies when I try to turn my head off for a while, even if I find them boring.

But this is more like porn. Or how I imagine porn. And it's right in front of my face. No screen protecting me from the cheer intensity of it.

Busying myself moving a piece of chalk from my coat pocket to my jeans pocket in an attempt to feel more in control, I take a deep breath of the disgusting air and start searching for Li.

The bar is managed by three humans, dancing around each other, grabbing bottles, and pouring their contents into shot glasses. After scanning the dance floor far longer than I would like I'm convinced that none of the dark elves I see through the smoke hanging over it is Li.

I just want this to be over with so I can leave but I'm not ready to move away from my makeshift safe spot at the wall to look for him.

The old silver coin is in my hand, moving between my fingers, the movements strangely calming in the chaos.

I press my back against the wall again as a train of giggling girls with elaborate hairdos squeeze their way past.

For some reason, I thought Li would find me as soon as I went through the door. Maybe he's watching me from somewhere, laughing at my awkwardness.

If I was here just to pay the debt I would leave now, claiming I did what he asked and he had his chance but blew it. Now I can't. It's getting harder to breathe and it has nothing to do with the revolting air.

I go back to scanning the room, growing more uncomfortable and hot by the minute. Feeling more wrong and alone than I ever have.

It takes me too long to spot the red eyes. Not clear red like Li's and the other dark elves, cloudy red. Like my own the first and only time I tried Phoria just to see that it worked. The faces they belong to look disgustingly happy. I don't remember being that happy when I used it. Then I didn't use more than a few grains.

The smoke clears up a bit and two identical songs later I spot Li. He's on a couch placed on some kind of raised platform or stage surrounded by red rope. Probably the VIP section. Of course. Where else would he be.

He has a black suit jacket over his too-tight T-shirt and his tongue down a blond guy's throat. A black-haired girl sits on his other side and watches them like she's waiting for her turn. Li's hand moves up her bare thigh like a promise her wait will be rewarded.