17. Now I know why she's never come to visit

The figure looming over us is nothing like I imagined Alice. Not just the physical aspect but the confidence. I thought she would be shy and scared of people.

"Your friend I assume?" Li says and puts me down.

The second he lets go of my shirt, I stagger backward, hitting the bench with the back of my knees and sitting down with a thump. At least I'm not sprawled on the ground.

I glare at Li as he measures Alice up, probably not sure exactly what he's looking at. She's big enough to be a troll, but I'm sure no troll has ever worn a unicorn outfit. Or stood up to Li.

Li's face is relaxed now, like he wasn't ready to murder me ten seconds ago.

Alice stops a couple of meters from us and Li gives her one last glance before turning his red eyes on me. Or more specifically, the collar of my shirt that's ripped open over my left shoulder all the way down the seam until it hits the sleeve.

I miss my coat. And I have a sinking feeling I will never get it back.

Li frowns like he doesn't understand how that happened to my shirt and it looks like he's about to say something but Alice interrupts him.

"You should leave, elf," she rumbles and I just can't understand how different her voice sounds compared to the high-pitched-annoying-anime-girl voice she has in my head when reading her messages.

Li turns back to her, sizing her up.

"Who are you?"

"I'm Levi's friend. Unlike you."

"I'm sure we—"

"Leave! We don't want you here!" Her dark voice reverberating around the walls and ceiling like an avalanche.

Something dawns on Li's face as he looks between us. It's ugly and painful and I had no idea he could look like that. But it only takes a second for him to get his features in order and replace whatever it was with a cold smile. He takes a step back and raises his hands in a gesture of mock surrender.

"Three's a crowd it seems. I'll leave you to it."

His gaze stays on me. Cold and unfeeling as he backs away toward one of the tunnels.

"I hope you'll have better luck selling yourself for protection this time."

"Fuck you!"

"Make sure to give him a good reward. I guess anything is possible with enough Phoria and lube."

Alice flinches in my peripheral vision and anger is pressing on my head, hot and acidic.

"Just fucking leave already!"

His gaze stays on me for two seconds, like he's waiting for me to deny it. I just glare at him. Not giving him a reason to stay a second longer. It's all fucked up anyway.

After giving me one last angry look he turns around and stomps down the length of the platform before jumping down on the tracks. His movements are stiff and jerky, completely devoid of their normal fluidity.

As soon as the sound of Li's footsteps disappears Alice relaxes, shifting her weight between her feet and wrings her hands in front of her.

"Oh my god! He's so scary! And what was that even about? You told me he was an asshole but holy shit!"

I glare at the tunnel, wishing it would collapse on top of Li's arrogant head and bury him alive.

"It's a very long and humiliating story," I answer after calming down enough to unclench my jaw. My words are still sharp with anger.