23. Finally. The End

It's been eight years since I flew with Cera and the memory does not do it justice. It's like I left all my troubles and worries on the ground. Like I'm untouchable up here, gliding between clouds.

That makes it easier to dodge the panic-laced question of how the fuck we will get out of this one. Now that everyone knows Cera is here they will not stop looking for us. We'll be hunted for the rest of our lives.

I lean down and press my face against Cera's warm scales as the cold air rushes by, drying my hair.

Whatever happens, we'll be together. I'll never leave her again.

A low purr makes her scales vibrate against my face, tugging my lips into a smile.

The skyscrapers and blocks of concrete far below give way for gray squares as we near the industrial park. It's easy to identify the building where I did the concealment spell, it looks like a hoard of dragons ripped it to pieces. Chunking bits into all surrounding buildings, breaking windows, and denting walls.

I try to swallow the lump in my throat. Cera slows down for the landing and I raise my voice to be heard over the wind. "You sure Li is alright? He was so close when I left, I—"

Cera scoffs out a cloud of sparks and smoke.

"He was half hysterical when he couldn't find you. And then fully hysterical when he heard you were caught."

Warmth blooms in my stomach, and I can't fully blame it on being in contact with Cera.

He really was bait. "You think he was captured? Should we try to free him?"

We're descending in a circle now. The shards of glass still attached to the roof of Cera's prison sparkling in the sunlight.

"No. He said he'd been looking for a way into the castle anyway and this was as good as any."

I frown but have to concentrate on not falling to my death as we descend through the hole in the roof and land in the middle of the chaos.

Most of the water has cleared out, leaving shards of glass, pieces of the broken circle, burned books, and melted candles scattered everywhere.

"We should gather what we can save and leave," I say as I slide off, Cera's tail catching me before I hit the floor.

She hums. "You need help with that metal?"

The chain clinks as I lift my hands. "You think you can break the chain without biting off my hand?"

"Hmf. Of course I can. I'm a dragon."

I hold out my hands, still not entirely convinced this is a good idea. I have to fight every instinct to keep still as she opens her jaw, showing me all her sharp teeth. But when she bites down, the only thing between them is the chain and it breaks like a cheap McDonald's toy.

"Thanks." I spread my arms wide just because I can.

"You want me to try removing the cuffs? I can do it."

I look at the metal and the symbol. Gleaming in the light. "No, I don't plan to do magic anytime soon, anyway."

"Seems like jail made you smarter."

"Very funny," I stroke the scales between her nostrils and she rustles her wings.

"You're very touchy. Is this common with rescued humans?"

"I missed you. I thought I'd never see you again."

I lean against her, letting the fire under her scales warm me.

Birds chirp outside, landing on the edges of the now-open roof. The air smells like rainbows.

"Where should we go?" Cera asks and I close my eyes.