Chapter 12 - Kennedy

This was the first time that Nico was at my apartment, and I was worried about what he thought of it. In the car, I could sense the electricity in the air. I thought I'd be interested in the opera, but with him there; I hadn't been able to concentrate for a minute.

It was obvious that around each other; we had nothing else on our minds.

I took a breather when we walked into my apartment. Everything was happening so fast!

"I would have cleaned up around here if I knew you were coming," I said, turning to look at him.

Nico was standing there with his hands in his pockets. In his tuxedo, he looked like a million dollars. His hair was neatly brushed back from his forehead, his gray eyes were piercing. I knew exactly what he looked like underneath all those clothes. I was one of the lucky ones.

"It looks fine, don't worry about it, Kennedy," he said. Nico's voice was deep and growly. Even though some of that urgency had faded since the car ride, it was still palpable in the air between us. There was only one thing to do, but I wanted to wait. Just a few moments longer. Just enough to make this night last for some more time.

"Kennedy, I'm sorry I made you dress up and wear that beautiful thing, and now we're here. I'm going to have to take it off you," he said it mechanically. In a business-like tone.

I blushed deep when I heard him say it. He was apologizing for the trouble. It was no trouble! I'd dressed up for him. I'd bought another beautiful dress because I wanted him to want me. I shook my head.

"I don't mind," I said.

I was conscious of keeping some distance between us. Trying to prolong this moment. I was aware that we'd laid down some ground rules. No feelings, minimum conversation—our relationship was going to be all about sex and nothing else.

And yet, I couldn't help but want something more. Anything, just a sliver of a conversation. I knew Ava was right. I'd be the one left hurt and miserable at the end of this. Men like Nico Rossi moved on quickly. In a few months, would he even remember me?

I watched as he took a step towards me. He was in the process of taking off his bowtie.

"I need you to undress, Kennedy," he stated. In that same business-like tone. I gulped and nodded.

"Yes, I will...but first, would you like a drink?" I asked.

I whipped away from him, rushing into my kitchen. Thankfully, he didn't follow me in.

My hands were shaking as I poured some whisky into two glasses. Why was I doing this? I knew I wouldn't be able to make him stay longer than he wanted to. Once we had sex, this would be all over and Nico would be on his way. Then I'd spend the next few days waiting for another phone call or a text. This was what I'd signed up for.

When I returned to the living room with the two glasses, I saw that he was standing at the window. I watched him in silence for a few moments, saw the way his expansive shoulders rose and fell with every breath he was taking. He looked strong and handsome as he stood there with his hands in his pockets. Would some day, some girl be able to have him forever?

I cleared my throat for his attention and Nico turned to me. I could see it on his face that he had something on his mind.

"I didn't know you drank whisky," he said as I gave him a glass with trembling hands.

"I'm out of beer," I replied and took a quick sip of my drink. Nico was watching me, his eyes flitting over the length of my body, breathing in the shape of me.