Chapter 21 - Kennedy

It was a Monday, but thankfully, it was over. I'd been working extra hard the past couple of weeks. I wanted to get ahead of all my projects before it was time to go on maternity leave.

My manager, Keith, had graciously been super nice about the news. He was happy with the work I was doing these past months. He'd already promised me that I could take as much time off work that I needed, and then I'd have my job waiting for me when I was ready to come back.

It was nearly six and the office was pretty much empty by now. I'd already texted Nico and told him I'd be an hour late returning home. These days, if I didn't let him know of my whereabouts, he always got anxious. It was like the closer my due date got, the more worried Nico was getting.

It was sweet. I could sense that he was going to be a good, protective father, but now I was beginning to worry about him too. It seemed like he was bringing his work troubles home more often these days.

"Don't work too hard," Keith rapped on my cubicle window before he walked away.

"I promise you I won't," I replied with a laugh as I started putting my things away. When I looked up, I saw that my office floor was entirely empty. I was the only one left now.

"Your mommy is a busy bee, isn't she?" I was speaking to myself, as I rubbed my belly. I could feel the baby growing inside me. I was speaking to it more often now...dreaming about what it was going to look like.

I deposited all my things in my purse and looked around for my phone. It wasn't on my desk.

"Where is it!" I exclaimed aloud and yanked open the top drawer of my desk. My phone was lying there neatly, even though I was certain I'd not put it there. I lifted it up with my brows crossed, and when I did; I saw the note underneath it.

"What..." I whispered and picked it up.

It was a small piece of paper, with a typed up message in the middle of it.

We know about the baby

That was all it said. I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and a sudden chill ran down my bones. I felt like I was being watched.

I swiveled in my chair to look. There was still nobody there on the floor. My breathing was harsh. My throat was dry. I was imagining hearing approaching footsteps.

I tried to get my phone to work but I saw that it was drained of its battery.

"Shit. Shit. Shit!" I mumbled as I threw it in my bag and lifted up the office landline on my desk. I dialed Nico's number and he answered immediately.

"Hey, beautiful," he said. I could sense he was driving.

"I need you to come and get me from the office. Right now. Right fucking now, Nico!" I screamed.

"Kennedy, what is going on? Stay where you are. I'm coming over. Five minutes!" he growled and I hung up the phone.

I looked around again. There was nobody there. Those footsteps I'd imagined had disappeared too. Was I going crazy? Was this just a hallucination? That note was still there on my desk. It was as real as I was.

The next five minutes passed by painfully slowly.

Nico came running out of the elevators and found me cowering at my desk.

"Kennedy! What happened? Are you okay?" I was in his arms within moments and finally I felt like I could breathe again. I nodded my head but kept my face buried in his shoulders.

"Tell me what happened," he said and I looked over at the note on my desk. Nico pulled away from me and picked up the note. I watched as he read it and then balled it up and threw it to the floor. His face had darkened. I could see the rage in his eyes.