Chapter 13 - Nico

I should have just got up and left.

The sex was done, I was satisfied and I was sure my body wouldn't crave for Kennedy for at least another few hours. That would give me enough time to make it back to my place in one piece.

Instead, when Kennedy moved from underneath me, I rolled over and then kept lying on her floor.

Things were supposed to be casual between us, just about the sex. But I asked her if she had more of that whisky.

Kennedy nodded her head and smiled weakly. I watched as she stood up and walked to the kitchen. I couldn't get enough of her nakedness. Of how beautiful she looked without any clothes on. Just as gorgeous as she looked wearing them.

I sat up and ran a hand through my ruffled damp hair. My body was still recovering from the sweaty sex.

She returned with the bottle this time and sat down cross-legged in front of me. I took the bottle from her and drank some of the whisky. She took it from me and drank some too.

"That was a great show. We should go to the opera more often!" she exclaimed. There was a laugh dancing on her lips and I stared at her.

I couldn't help but laugh. She made me smile. She made me want to smile all the time and in that moment, I'd forgotten about everything that was going wrong with my life.

"Sorry about that. I guess you wanted to watch the performance," I told her as she handed the bottle back to me.

"It's okay, I guess we can go again," she shrugged her shoulders.

The moment the words left her mouth, her cheeks turned red. She looked away from me, embarrassedly.

"I didn't mean you should ask me out again. I mean, you don't have to. I know we're not technically dating," she corrected herself quickly.

I watched her in silence for a few moments. Kennedy was refusing to meet my eyes. I could sense that she regretted saying it. She didn't want me to think that she wanted more than just sex.

It should have annoyed me.

She'd agreed to this. I'd warned her already that I couldn't give her more.

However, for some reason, it didn't annoy me. Instead, I nodded my head and smiled at her.

"No, I think you're right. Maybe we can go some other time. I'll keep an eye out for some good shows," I replied.

Kennedy looked up at me and our gazes locked. In her green eyes was a hopeful look. What was she hoping for? That maybe I could give her what she really wanted? Not just what she was pretending to want?

I stood up from the floor and walked over to her couch and crashed down.

"Anything interesting on TV?" I asked, picking up the remote control that was lying next to me. Kennedy was smiling now, she was still sitting on the floor but there was a look of surprise in her eyes. She wasn't expecting me to stay.

***

I'd spent the night at Kennedy's apartment. We'd gone to sleep on the couch, watching some old film on TV. I'd woken up with my arms tightly wound around her and her head on my chest.

In the morning, she was in a rush to get to work and I left before breakfast. My mind was all jumbled up. I was confused about everything that was happening. I wasn't supposed to be spending this much time with her. I definitely wasn't supposed to be falling asleep on the couch with her either.

I drove back to my apartment to shower and change. When I checked my phone there were several missed calls from my father. He needed to me to make an appearance at the job site we were working on.