Chapter 22 - Nico

I dropped Kennedy off at our apartment, and waited with her until Ava came over. I wanted to give my father one last chance, but I couldn't leave Kennedy alone while I went to speak to him.

She sat on the couch, trying to be brave. Every time I asked her if she was doing okay, she insisted that she was going to be fine. When Ava came to the apartment, she was glaring at me.

"What did you do?" she hissed and Kennedy came to my aid.

"It's not his fault, Ava, leave him alone. He's going to fix this," she said.

"By taking you away!" Ava screamed.

Kennedy hugged her best friend tightly and indicated for me to leave.

"I love him, honey. This is the only way we can be together," I heard Kennedy say as I left the apartment.

I was raging mad. How had they found out about the baby? I'd seen no indication, no clues that our secret was out. Was I being followed? Did they have eyes on the apartment? That was the only way they could have known who else was living with me. Kennedy was beginning to show, so putting two and two together wouldn't have been hard.

I got in my car and drove straight to Maverick. I had a suspicion that my father was going to be there.

I barged in on a little party he was having. The room was thick with smoke and my father was sitting, surrounded by his closest associates.

"All of you, get out!" I growled at them.

"What's got your panties in a bunch, son?" my dad asked with a grin on his face, while the others started leaving the room.

I stood over him with clenched fists. I was ready to punch him now. I had no inhibitions left. My kid had just been threatened.

I waited for everyone to leave the room before I spoke again.

"Do you have any fucking idea how much danger we are in right now?" I asked.

My father shrugged his shoulders and stuck his cigar between his lips.

"Again with the danger! Nico, why don't you sit down and we can discuss this," he said. He'd been drinking and I could hear him slurring his words.

"I don't need to sit down for this. It's a very simple conversation. I have a question to ask you and you answer it in one word and then I'm gone," I stated.

He narrowed his eyes at me and I continued.

"Are you going to do something about the death threats we've been receiving?" I asked.

My father laughed then and blew out a mouthful of smoke.

"Of course, I will, son. I'm going to get all the motherfuckers and make them pay for emotional damages," he replied sarcastically, still laughing.

"If that is your plan. If you have no interest in putting a stop to this manic bloodshed, then I'm leaving. I'm taking your grandchild and I'm getting out of here," I said. My voice was deep and calm. I wasn't here to pick a fight. I was here to inform him that my time was up and I was out.

"Grandchild? What the fuck are you talking about, Nico?" he asked, jumping out of his chair.

"I'm having a kid. I'm going to be a father in five months. I'm in love with a good woman and she's just been threatened. There is no way I'm staying in Seattle to watch the show. I'm not going to put my family in danger," I replied.

My father stepped towards me, the cigar was still burning between his fingers.

"You're having a kid and you didn't fucking tell me?" he growled.