Chapter 23 - Kennedy

Ava was pacing around the living room, refusing to sit down. It seemed like she was freaking out way more than I was.

"I knew this was going to happen. I warned you, Kenni!" she mumbled under her breath.

"I know you did, but will you please just sit down! You're making me nervous," I argued but she wasn't about to listen to me.

"And now something's going to happen. I know it will! I told you Nico Rossi was trouble!" she continued.

I stood up and walked over to her, trying to put my arms around her but she wriggled out of my grip.

"You never should have slept with him! Him and his entire family are all poison!" she yelled.

I placed my hand on my belly and stroked where I could feel the baby growing inside me.

"But I'm having his child now, Ava. This baby is as much a Rossi as Nico is," I said softly.

That seemed to appease Ava a little and she licked her lips nervously.

"What are you going to do, Kenni?" she asked.

"Nico is figuring it out."

"You'll have to leave Seattle. How far will you go? How far is safe?" she said and I shook my head.

"I don't know, honey, but I'll go wherever Nico thinks we should. He knows best," I replied.

Ava stormed over to the couch and deposited herself on it.

"If he knew what was best he should have taken care of this a long time ago! You shouldn't be getting threats right now!" she snapped.

"He's been trying. I've never met his father, but I'm sure you've heard about him. I'm sure you know better than I do what that man is like," I said and went to console Ava again.

She was rocking herself on the couch and I placed a hand on her shoulder.

"We have no choice, Ava. I want to stay with him, I love him and he's the father of my child. I have to go wherever he goes. This is the life I've chosen for myself," I told her.

"You deserve so much more, Kenni!" Ava said with tears in her eyes.

"Yes, she does," Nico's voice echoed in the room and we looked over to find him standing at the door.

Even though I knew how much danger we were in. And I was scared, I couldn't help but admire the man I had chosen to spend my life with. He looked handsome standing there. Sturdy and strong, a man capable of keeping his family safe. A smile flickered on my face...I'd been waiting for him to return.

Nico walked towards us, looking at Ava now.

"I know I've been nothing but bad news for Kennedy, but I love her," he said. Ava stood up with her lips quivering.

"She's my best friend, Nico! And now she's in danger. I might never see her again!" Ava thundered.

Nico was looking at her calmly, searching her eyes.

"I will not let that happen. I won't allow Kennedy to live her life estranged from you or her family. I'm going to make sure she's safe and then I'll figure out how to solve the problem," he replied.

I reached for his hand and we stood in front of Ava, united, hand-in-hand.

Ava looked at both of our faces and she could see that I had made up my mind. There was no question. I was sticking with my man.

"Look after her," Ava said in a quieter voice to Nico and he nodded his head.

Then she threw her arms around me and I hugged her tight.