Chapter 19 - Kennedy

Now that Nico was back in my life again, I had a productive Sunday. I spent the day stocking up my kitchen with groceries again, I cleaned around the apartment and seemingly got my life back in order. I even went out for lunch with Ava in the afternoon.

She seemed delighted to see me.

"You have some color back in your cheeks again, Kenni!" she remarked as we ate. My appetite was back.

"I've been busy. I even got some work done early in the morning. I've been slacking in the office lately," I told her. Ava smiled.

"I know I've been hard on you...regarding Nico. But if he's shaping up and taking responsibility, then I don't have any complaints. I just want you to be happy, honey," Ava insisted. After Nico had left, I broke down and called Ava. I needed to fill her in on what was happening.

I nodded my head, smiling gleefully. I wasn't expecting this either. I didn't think that in a day my life would change so dramatically. Nico had really come through. I'd felt a connection with him the previous night. I'd seen in his eyes that he cared about me and not just because I was going to be the mother of his child.

"It's not like I trust him completely," I said to Ava, and she pursed her lips and looked at me sympathetically.

"And you shouldn't, not yet," she added.

"He's disappeared on me, twice. He'll have to do a lot more to win my trust in him, but for now, this will do," I replied.

Ava sighed.

"Whatever his family is involved in...and you know I can't discuss all that with you; Nico seems like a reasonable guy. From what you've told me, he really wants this baby. And with you. You're lucky, not all women have it that way with a guy she barely knows," she continued.

I knew she was right. I was feeling lucky indeed. Not only was Nico being sweet and thoughtful, he made me feel special. He was the guy who got away, but now I had him.

"I'm going to take it one day at a time," I said and Ava nodded.

"He left last night and texted to say that we'll see each other soon. I'm going to wait and see what he does next," I added.

Ava got up from her chair and walked over to me. Within moments, we were hugging.

"What's this for?" I asked her and she kissed my cheek.

"I'm just so happy for you! I'm going to be an auntie...you're going to be a mommy. Everything is working out! We have to start thinking of names!" she was excited and giggling.

Since I found out about my pregnancy, now was when I was finally excited about it too. I didn't know if I was ready yet, but slowly; I would get there.

A child was growing inside me.

***

When I returned to my apartment, to my surprise; I found Nico waiting for me outside my door.

"Nico!" I exclaimed, unable to hide the excitement from my voice as I rushed to him. I'd sensed that things had changed between us and I was hoping for the best. However, I wasn't expecting to see him so soon.

He was casually dressed, freshly shaven and smelling great. He also had a bouquet of red roses in his hands and a bag full of groceries.

"Hello, Kennedy," he said and when I got close to him, he leaned in to kiss me on my lips. For the first time, I was beginning to feel like we were actually a couple.

Blushing and smiling, I opened the door and we walked in.

"You didn't have to..." I said, taking the flowers from him.