chapter 28

I sat beside a barefaced Ju-kyung on the bench beside the clothes' lines. "Why have you been trying so hard to hide it?" I ask her, confused.

"I once asked the people who bullied me why they hated me so much it was because I'm ugly. They just hated how I looked," She looks at me sadly, trying to decipher how I feel. "But with makeup, people started seeing me differently. Kids approached me first and I easily got to make friends. It made me realize that I should never take off this mask,"

"It must've been hard to keep it hidden for so long," I held her hands in mine.

"I'm scared that people will turn against me when they find out the truth," Her chin quivers, "What a loser, right?"

I shake my head and rest her head on my chest, running my fingers through her hair, "Jjoo, you are the most kind and sweet and wholesome and funny and gorgeous person I know, people who make you think that way are the real losers, so don't think like that ever again, got it?" She nods slowly. "I literally adore you and nothing you could do could make me stop, you're my best friend, you know that right?" Jjoo cries silently against my chest. "I would literally hide the body if you murdered someone, I mean it," She lets out a little laugh and nods. "You still don't want to get caught though, what should we do?" I stand up and look down at her, "Stand up,"

"What?" She asks confused, wiping a few stray tears away.

I open the sides of my jacket. "Come here," She stares at me confused as I smile proudly at my idea. She grins widely once she realizes and runs into my chest and I hide her face with the sides of my jacket, "Let's go," We both start jogging together back to the tent, giggling.

✦•················•✦

The next day we get on the bus and Jjoo immediately sits next to Su-ho which forces me to go and sit beside Seo-jun. "Hi!" I say excitedly and just get a groan in response, "You're boring, I'm leaving," I go to stand up but he grabs my arm and pulls me back into the seat before hugging my arm and resting his head on my shoulder and sighing. "Wha-What're you doing?"

"Making sure you don't leave," He moves closer as I try to pull my arm away.

"Okay, okay I won't, now let go,"

"No," He says lowly before cuddling closer. I gulp and shake my head to clear my thoughts, that's not what's happening I need to stop thinking like that I'm just being delusional. I sigh and close my eyes, pulling out my airpods to drown out the noise of everyone around me. I look over at Seo-jun and smile a bit. He looks so peaceful when he's asleep, like he doesn't want to beat everyone in a 10 feet radius of him up, I brush a piece of hair from his eyes before closing my eyes and resting my head on his.

✦•················•✦

The next Monday I get into school and start walking next to Si-hyun and Hyun-kyu, listening to what they were gossiping about today. "What's going on?" I whisper and they jump but calm after realizing it's just me.

"Su-ho smiled," I frown in confusion.

"So?"

"Su-ho never smiles," Si-hyun agrees. "We think he's dating someone," Last night's events dawned on me and I started connecting the dots on what happened. I'm guessing after Ju-kyung told Seo-jun that she likes Su-ho, Su-ho went to find her and then confessed to her and now they're all lovey dovey. We all walk into the classroom and I sit in Soo-ah's chair since she had gone to talk with Tae-hoon and turn around to Jjoo about to ask her if my suspicions were accurate but before I could Su-ho comes beside me and sets down a strawberry flavoured drink on Jjoo's table, now I don't even need to ask her, I'm pretty sure I'm right. As I go to squeal she grabs his wrist. "Throw it out," She glares at him and waves the drink in his face, "Since when are we close enough for you to give me this?" She slams it into his chest and he awkwardly takes it from her hands, "Throw it out, you hear me?" She stands up and stomps out of the classroom with me closely following.