chapter 42

Jjoo and I walked arm in arm into the school as I told her about last night's events. "I told you Seo-jun wouldn't care about the bare face thing!" I exclaim as we pass into our school's main gate.

"You're right, maybe he is different from what I thought he was like,"

"Well, you realized too late, he's mine now," I stick my tongue out and she laughs.

"You can have him," She pats my arm.

"Wah!" I exclaim when I see cardboard cutouts and posters of Jjoo near the front gate. I gasp excitedly and run up to them and hand Jjoo my phone and pose next to the cardboard cutout, faking kissing it's—or her—cheek. I wave her over and she smiles before coming to stand next to me and we both take a selfie next to her cutout and I watch her send the photo to her mom.

"This is so embarrassing," Jjoo laughs as we see more and more posters and cutouts closer to the school.

"So she's the queen of Saebom High?" Two boys walk past us and speak loudly. "She's the face of our school?" They laugh to each other and pass by. Jjoo looks at me and frowns and I shake my head in response.

"It's probably nothing," But it couldn't have been nothing, everyone down the hallway was whispering the same things the boys outside were, a fear crept up my spine and I tried to mask my worry in case it was nothing and I was overthinking again. Someone bumped into Jjoo's shoulder and looked at her with a hard glare, not apologizing.

"Angel? What a joke," He scoffs. I gulp and kick him in the back of the knee so he stumbles a bit.

"Whoops, you should be careful, don't wanna hurt that dumbass attitude of yours," I smile innocently and he clenches his jaw and dusts off the back of his knee and speed walks away.

We find our way back to our classroom to see our classmates huddled around desks, whispering, they all turn their heads to look at us, other classes also gathering outside the open door and my grip on Jjoo's arm tightens to an almost painful amount. Soo-ah finally breaks the silence and walks up to the two of us and pulls out her phone and holds it in front of Jjoo. "Ju-kyung-ah, is this really you?" Soo-ah holds out her phone so we could both see and my hand clutches onto Jjoo's shaking one when she sees what the post is. The post started with a picture of Jjoo and Su-ho kissing, 'The real face of Saebom High's Im Ju-kyung,' There was the video of Jjoo getting rejected by her crush under it, 'She was the dumpling girl before she transferred. You guys will faint when you see this, she's mad ugly, it's all makeup,' I quickly push Soo-ah's phone screen down once I'm done reading. "You were in on this two?" Soo-ah bites her trembling bottom lip and walks out of the classroom, bumping shoulders aggressively with Jjoo.

Tears slowly fall out of Jjoo's eyes and I hold her face to my shoulder so other people can't see her. "Let's go," I whisper and she nods and I drag her out of the room, weeding through the crowd of teenagers with their phones shoved in our faces. She starts running once we're out of the main group and bumps into someone and falls over, I immediately crouch down beside her as Su-ho also rounds the corner and crouches down beside her as well. Jjoo looks up at him with tears in her eyes and I hold her shaky hand and try to get her to stand up.

"Ju-kyung-ah," Su-ho's eyes widen and he looks at me in question and I shake my head. Su-ho tries reaching for her hand but she pushes him away and pulls me with her as she starts running down the hallway at top speed. We run down the hallways and run into the main group of school bullies and we both stop in our tracks.

"An angel?" The girl in the middle scoffs, "As if," She nods her head to her goons, "Drag them along," Two people grab Jjoo and two others grab me and struggle against them but they just push me forward. They drag the two of us into the girls bathroom and shove Jjoo against the wall but let me free, girls channel into the restroom so I'm shoved against the wall next to Jjoo and I groan in pain as people elbow me to get a better look at what the bullies were saying to Jjoo.