chapter 39

"Lee Su-ho! Your dad's retire—" Hyun-kyu runs up to Su-ho and I twist my body to watch him enter. Tae-hoon runs in front of Hyun-kyu and karate chops him in the neck, cutting him off and making him back away in pain, rubbing his throat.

"My friend, what's up?" He says in English, "Congratulations on your recovery," He starts clapping and looks around at us pointedly, signalling to us to follow his example, we all slowly start applauding.

"Congratulations for what?" Su-ho asks and starts walking to his seat but Seo-jun puts his leg up, stopping him in his tracks.

"Su-ho, did you lose the cast?" He looks down at his leg.

"I did," Su-ho's expression's unwavering.

"Good," Seo-jun nods and puts his head back down.

"Are you sleeping already?"

"Yes," Seo-jun nods.

"What's with the lukewarm mood?" Tae-hoon looks between the normally fighting and glaring pair. Su-ho nods and continues walking to his seat and sits down, finally filling the empty seat in what felt like months. Jjoo walks into the room and I turn back around to the front of the classroom to see Soo-ah run up to her and show her her phone.

"Jjoo, guess what? I entered you in the Stargram Queen Contest and you're in second place," Jjoo looks closer and smiles slightly, the smile not reaching her eyes. "You're not trailing far behind so you might take the lead!"

"Oh, I see," Jjoo looks upset.

"What does the winner get?" Soo-jin asks as I walk up to them to better hear their conversation, "Prize money?"

"No, it just feels good to win," Soo-ah shrugs. "The leader of a girl group that recently debuted was sought out by entertainment agencies after winning first place,"

"What's so good about getting that famous, though?" Soo-jin asks.

"Well, being famous just feels good," Soo-ah supplies.

"Not for me though," Jjoo closes her eyes and suppresses a groan.

"The school's pride is on the line," Soo-ah says solemnly, her phone held lazily in her hand, "So everyone's trying to make someone from their school win, I was eliminated from the race earlier on, but you should win and maintain our dignity," She pats Jjoo's arm and nods. "Annoyingly enough, the first place currently goes to Yongpa High," She hands the phone to Jjoo and I look over her shoulder to see who it was, my eyes widen and I look at Jjoo and she nods the slightest bit.

"Why did you upload the photo?" Jjoo shakes Soo-ah's phone a bit, "Please take it down!"

"The voting has begun, so I can't," Soo-ah smiles devilishly, Jjoo bites her lip and I rest my hand on her back, "Guys, please log into Stargram and vote Ju-kyung!" She turns towards the class. Everyone exclaims excitedly and pulls out their phones.

"Soo-jin saved us seats," Soo-ah says and we all look through the cafeteria and locate Soo-jin and go to sit with her in the seats she found for us. Jjoo sits and halts when she notices a girl in front of her, I follow her sightline and see a girl sitting next to Soo-jin and eating her food quietly.

"Who is she?" I whisper really quietly so no one could hear.

"She's from my old school, guinea pig for my bullies," Jjoo whispers back and I nod slightly, sitting up straighter.

"Soo-jin, who's she?" Soo-ah looks at the girl.

"Ah, this is Hye-min," Hye-min bows politely as Seo-jun kicks Hyun-kyu—who was sitting next to me—'s chair and signals for him to stand.