𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙚

CHAPTER THREE

eyes on the prize

"so, you grew up here," i said, leaning in closer to him.

"yeah! if you went to school plays in middle school," said walker, "you might have seen me in mary poppins."

"really? who did you play?"

"i played—"

madeline approached our desk, her eyes glued to him. "walker, could i borrow a pencil?"

"i only have one, sorry," he answered. he slightly raised his hand and revealed a freshly bought and sharpened yellow pencil, one you would buy from a sale in back to school season.

"i have one!" i offered, holding up a mechanical pencil.

"okay, perfect!" she grinned. oh no, what was this girl gonna say now? i don't really know her well, i only keep it light, but i've heard she does some questionable things. "how about you give that to walker and i can have his... i don't like mechanical pencils."

you've got to be kidding me.

walker glanced at me, and for a moment we had this mutual agreement: what a bitch! i had to laugh, it was just so bizarre. "you're joking, right," i asked her.

she hesitated, shifted her gaze from me to him many times with thinly veiled embarrassment. "yeah, you got me." she turned around and went back to her seat. the second hand embarrassment was actually painful.

"also," she halted and sibilated to me, "he played michael banks, the little boy." oh, madeline, you're going to kill me. this isn't trivia, this is chemistry class... which we actually should be quizzing each other on. i forgot about that.