𝙩𝙚𝙣

CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN

tunnel vision

"you're good to walk home alone?" is what i asked maeve as we neared my house. the moon was peeking out from behind its roof, the night establishing itself in the darkness. and the coldness. all i wanted to do was go inside and warm up.

"i'll be fine," she assured me. "and i don't want to keep you. i can see you shivering." she pointed at me. "or is that you shaking in your boots because you just had a steamy staredown with your crush?"

even though walker had parted ways with us a few minutes ago, i still checked to see if the coast was clear. "shh!"

"you didn't deny it! my plan worked, y/n," she said proudly. "you know, i started the contest 'cause i wanted him to realize how beautiful your eyes are, and i think he did. did you see how flustered he got when you said you liked him? he definitely is interested in you!"

"okay, okay. my delusions aren't your parental responsibility -- you don't need to keep feeding them."

i heard my front door open a long way behind me. dad called out, "y/n! it's getting late, why don't you head inside?"

i waved goodbye to maeve and we both started to walk in opposite directions. my smile faded as i noticed the discontentment on dad's face. "where have you been?"

"i told you. jordyn's," i said darkly, stepping inside and taking my jacket off.

"and what were you doing there?" he crossed his arms and looked at me skeptically.

"homework," i stated. "that's why we brought our schoolbags."

"then why did your aunt tell me that you were watching a movie?"

"it was part of the assignment!"

"apparently jordyn said that you had, quote, 'finished all your work beforehand.' and 'you' was referring to three people? who was the third person? why'd you lie?"

"look, he's just a friend. and that's not a lie!" jeez, i hadn't even got to take my shoes off or regain feeling in my hands.

"he? you're hanging out with a boy right under my nose?"

"damn, dad. you sound like a jealous boyfriend. why don't you tone down the inner teenage self that's coming out right now?"

"excuse me, young lady. when i was your age, i listened to my parents," he rebuked, pointing a stiff finger at me.