𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙛𝙤𝙪𝙧

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

searching, pt. 2

the next person in was tasha. she cautiously stepped inside right after harley and her friends skedaddled. "i'm auditioning for emily," she said, apparently needing no introduction. i expected nothing less from her. at least she wasn't trying out to be an extra. she must have had enough of blending in with the people around her.

tasha read through the excerpt that was given to her by maeve, who was now a piece of wall adornment. we all sat back and waited for her to start. she would be reading the opening scene, the one that we didn't get to read at jordyn's house. it took place at "ext. school entrance - day" where the two are the only ones there after hours.

she gave walker a cue to start the dialogue. "hey, emily!" said caleb. walker managed to get the full two words out this time! i half expected maeve's phone to go off again and interrupt, but that wouldn't make sense anyway. it wasn't like jordyn could call her at any time.

caleb had the confidence of a mouse trying to sneak past a sleeping cat. "what are you doing here at almost four?"

"oh, just waiting for the besties. what about you, boo?" said tasha. emily certainly didn't say that. i glanced at the excerpt, questioning if maeve was messing with me. but she wasn't. emily's first line clearly read, "oh, nothing much. just waiting for my friends. what about you?"

"that's not the right line," jordyn muttered.

"i thought walker said he wanted actors on his level. i'm being adventurous and creative, adding my own twist, if you will." tasha crossed her arms with blatant sass.

walker and i exchanged looks of apprehension. i could tell he had no idea what to say being pulled into tasha's defense. "uhh, i didn't really mean improvising."

"improvising? this is improvement," tasha said. "this script is boring."

shutting her down, maeve snapped, "if you don't like the script, you can leave."

tasha slammed down the paper on the piano in front of me. when she did, i noticed her acrylic nail was breaking. was that why she was in such a bad mood? i couldn't think of another reason why she would be so bitchy.

her hair flipped, creating strong winds as she stormed out of the room. for a few moments, there was a silence of disbelief, our eyes darting from one person to the next. until there was an abrasive creak that broke the silence.

tasha reentered with a toothy smile. "how was my audition?"

i was so puzzled. "we already told you--"

"the show i just put on was my audition." tasha closed the door once again, waiting for the smiles to slowly spread across our faces. but they never did because we were just so baffled.