𝙚𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩

CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT

windows to the soul

the three of us approached the fence to the right of jordyn's garage, the first step to the risky series of parkour needed to get up to his bedroom. maeve and i knew it by heart, so we led the way for walker. we gestured for him to follow us to the fence, where we would cautiously step onto a tall buildup of cement on jordyn's driveway to get on it. walker gave us a perplexed look and climbed onto a recycling can next to the fence. i've never done that before, but it seemed to work fine.

i wish we could just go through the door, but jordyn's almost always grounded. not even i'm allowed to come over when he's caught drinking or something along those lines. and what's annoying is that my aunt always questions me if i drink too. and it's every single time, as if i would ever do that? plus, she installed a camera on the doorbell last year which luckily doesn't see very far to its sides.

once we were all on the fence, since i was in the lead, i took the first big leap to the roof. the last time i did this was over the summer, when i had the time and when the temperature was much higher, so my stiff legs weren't used to a jump like this. i waved my hands around trying to keep my balance as i made a faulty landing. "y/n, be careful," cried walker.

i forced myself to fall forward. scraping my palms on the shingles was better than cracking my skull open. "i'm good!" i lifted a bleeding hand to make a thumbs up without turning toward them. my face was scrunched up as i waited out the stinging sensation in my hand.

next, maeve's combat boots swiftly planted into the roof. "how'd you do that so easily," i asked.

"practice."

"you're saying that like i haven't been here the same amount of times as you," i said, shivering.

"uh... guys? a little help here?" walker was unsteadily holding one hand out with the other gripping the fence. he was a few feet away from us.

i hobbled toward the edge of the roof, locking hands with him  like we were in a fist fight and helping him heft himself onto it. i had stained his gloves with my blood, but he didn't seem to notice. maeve got ahead of us and knocked on jordyn's window as walker caught his breath and i rubbed on my palm against my coat in pain.

i watched as jordyn crept up on the window, his figure morphing into a black silhouette against the bright blue lights. he took both hands and lifted the window open, making a squeaking sound. "party of three, huh?"

"hope that's okay," i said.

clearing the way for us to come in, he said, "any time."

maeve lunged herself up to the windowsill and, followed by me, entered the bedroom. after doing whatever guys do to greet each other, walker also joined us, looking around the room in amazement. "whoa, this is sick!"