𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮

CHAPTER TWENTY

new perspective

the only homework i had that night was the fennel project. of course, i had no way of doing it if it was a partner project and my partner hasn't spoken a word to me. i explained this to dad, and he responded shockingly positive. "i'll give you your phone back for an hour and you'll find her on instagram."

"sounds good." i was handed my phone and, like any sane teenage girl would do, i went up to my room and texted my friends.

you

guys. i'm grounded big time.

maeve

really?

walker

is it because you were marked absent?

i explained what happened in detail, from the electronic diet to how i was calmer than i thought i would be in these circumstances. they took a while to respond. i didn't know if that was because i wrote a paragraph longer than three fennel emails combined or because it was so stupefying.

walker

okay. this isn't the end of the world. we just need to think about how we're gonna cast after school on thursday.

you

i've got that figured out.

maeve

what's your evil plan?

you

i'm going to tell my parents i'm going to chemistry extra help because i missed so much when i skipped.

walker

you're so smart

maeve

this is a whole new person. i love her.

you

thank you, and also thank you.

and don't worry, walker. i'm going to find some way to see you on friday.