20 - Nightmare

Sebastian

Sebastian

I woke in the middle of the night to a soft whimper, and it took a moment for my vision to fully adjust to the darkness.

Something shifted at my side, and I gazed down hazily, finding Skye turning into me, crying softly.

"No... don't...." Her mouth twisted in fear.

My brows drew together, and I shifted toward her. "Skye?"

She buried her face into the pillow, expression hardening as if she was in pain. "No, don't... No. No...."

I watched as her eyes squeezed shut.

"Sebastian..." she whimpered, fingers spreading as if she was trying to catch someone's hand. "Sebastian...!"

"Hey," I said then, lightly catching her shoulders to shake her. "Skye, wake up. Wake up, baby."

She grimaced at my touch but I didn't stop.

Her lashes fluttered open then, and she screamed when her eyes locked on my shadow.

I just pulled her against me, holding her tightly as shivers racked her body. "Shhh..." I soothed, "it was just a dream. Just a dream."

Her screaming trailed off, and she was now gasping and breathing shakily.

She wrapped her arms around me and buried her face in my shoulder.

"Shhh..." I soothed gently. "You're okay. You're okay, baby."

She stayed like that, the shivers lessening to tremors, and then she completely stilled, holding onto me.

"North again?" I said.

She nodded in my neck.

Yeah, I thought so. Ever since that night North kidnapped her, she'd occasionally have nightmares about it, and I'd have to wake her up.

I brushed my fingers through her hair, trying to calm her.

I wished I could've gotten rid of her fear, poor thing. I couldn't though... Even if I took myself out of her life... North would've still gone after her. Everyone would've.

It was true that some of the angels hunting me were because they wanted to know her whereabouts, but at the same time... they wanted to hurt me too because I did a lot of bad things in the past.

A lot of them.

But killing Jaden's sister... I did not. I never would've done that.

That... was North.

He was planning something, though I didn't know what.

He was being oddly nice, and then he decided to help save me? No... that didn't sound like him.

Like he always said, he never felt—never had emotion—that's why he'd never loved Skye... he had an obsession over her. There was a difference.

I shook my head, closing my eyes tightly.