'Just Friends', You Say...?

"...Not a 'she'?" Ms. Tenma repeated meekly, clearly flabbergasted. "She's a... boy? Is she—he transgender?"

     "No," Tsukasa rubbed his forehead with his hand, still looking down at the ground. "He's an actual boy."

     Please tell me you don't mind...

     "...Why didn't you tell me sooner?" She said in a low tone.

     "It's not... It doesn't bother you that I like another guy...?" Tsukasa raised his head, his eyes finally meeting those of his mother, allowing her to see the tears building up in them. "I... I thought... I mean, we only just started talking after years of tension... Doesn't it seem too sudden for me to just... come out like this, especially after not saying anything for a really, really long time?"

     "Of course it doesn't bother me, Tsukasa..." Ms. Tenma reached her hand up and began to caress her son's cheek softly as his tears began to roll down. "I'll accept you and love you, no matter who you love... I know it's something we can't control, and I know it well. Trust me." She smiled.

     I know you do, Mom.

     Tsukasa smiled back and began to tremble, roughly shoving the palms of his hands into his eyes to wipe away the beads of liquid streaming out of them. The arms of a loving mother enveloped her crying son.

     "I'm glad you came out to me, Tsukasa," She said, rubbing the back of Tsukasa's head. "If you don't mind, could I maybe... Meet the boy you like?"

     "Huh? Really?" Tsukasa sounded utterly dumbfounded. "You... Want to meet him?"

     "Yes," Ms. Tenma hugged him closer. "He sounds amazing."

     "He is," Tsukasa laughed softly. "Thank you, Mother."

     Then came a phrase that the mother hadn't heard in years:

     "I love you."

--------------------

     "Your boyfriend left?" Ms. Kamishiro frowned. "Why so soon?"

     Rui rubbed his forehead exasperatedly.

     "Mom, he's not my boyfriend," He said.

     "Oh, he isn't?" The boy's mother mused. "Okay, then. Future boyfriend."

     Rui groaned, covering his face with both of his hands. "Just because I'm gay doesn't mean I have a crush on every single one of my male friends!"

     "But I can see the chemistry!!" She insisted.

What does that even mean?!

"Believe what you want, we're just friends!" Rui argued futilely.

"Alright, you're 'just friends', but you do like him, I can see it!" Ms. Kamishiro said.

     "Fine!" Rui crossed his arms, turning his head away from his mother to hide the colour rising to his cheeks. "Yeah, I do like him."

"I knew it!" His mother slid her hands into Rui's, interlocking her fingers with his and pressing their palms together. "How cute! Plus, I got to meet him!! Yay~!"

     Rui frowned.

     "But... He's..." Rui looked at his mother. "What if I confess, and he says he's straight? Won't it be awkward? He'll probably stop wanting to talk to me, too!"

     "Ah, Rui," She sighed. "He's a nice boy, not at all the type to do that. Shouldn't you know this already?
     "Still, you don't know the outcome until you take the chance! Remember, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take~!"