Chapter 20

The wolf looks outside at the moon, the moon is so pretty tonight and the wolf is thinking maybe it should sneak out will the boy is sleeping to get food. The wolf needs to be a good provider for the boy and the wolf is starting to get hungry again. The boy feed the wolf something a while before the boy went to sleep, but the wolf didn't like that there was no meat on it, just something gooey and soft. The boy had said the name but the wolf doesn't understand human speech. His human had piped up and said it was a sandwich, the wolf doesn't know why it can understand his human and not the boy when he speaks. 

Its human seems to be a bit more aware of what is going on around them lately. It makes the wolf preen, its human should come out so the boy has someone to talk to. The wolf doesn't understand his speech even though the boy tries to include it. The moon distracts the wolf again.

Its human whispers in its mind that it's getting close to the full moon. The wolf can feel how close the full moon is and can't wait. It will have to hunt on the day of the full moon and bring the boy back something big to eat. Which means right now the wolf must go practice. It must go try to hunt food for the boy now, maybe bring back small critters to start with. Build it up little by little. Its human grumbles something but the wolf can't make it out. The wolf wonders again as he slips off the boys bed why its human is locked away as he is. 

The wolf wonders if its human can hear its thoughts, would its human be able to answer if the wolf thought about it, or does the wolf need to ask its human directly. The wolf slips outside and walks around the boys house a couple times. Scenting the air and keeping its eyes on anything that moves. It must make sure the boy is safe before leaving, he can't smell anything dangerous and anything that moves is something small that can't harm the boy. 

The wolf begins to run toward the treeline, it hopes it can catch a rabbit to eat and one to bring back for the boy to eat. Should the wolf start with something smaller than a rabbit? No, squirrels are too small for the boy and the wolf to eat. Plus they don't have much meat on them to enjoy, rabbits on the other hand are always plump. 

The wolf stretches his senses and begins the hunt.

_______________

Peter is too old for this shit. He watches from his spot in a tree as his nephew bounds after woodland critters, he's already found a rabbit and eaten it, but now he seems to be trying to catch something else. Peter guesses he wants to bring something back for Stiles to eat, he wants to provide for him. Peter isn't surprised that Derek hasn't sensed him yet, he's way too focused on those rabbits he's chasing, but Peter has always been good at hiding. He knows this place like the back of his hand and right now the wind is blowing his scent away from Derek. 

Peter's more surprised that Derek didn't wake Stiles when leaving his house. Although Peter wouldn't be surprised if Stiles woke up and then proceed to notice Derek's absence, what with Derek being attached at Stiles' hip since their separation, it wouldn't surprise Peter if-

His phones starts ringing, Peter pulls it out, glad he turned the ringer off before coming out here, to see the screen displaying Stiles' name. Really like clockwork, it only took him, Peter glances at the clock before answering the call. Ten minutes. New record. 

"Please tell me you know where Derek is?" Stiles says as soon as the call connects. 

"Why Stiles, not even a hello, how are you?" Peter responds with a grin. 

"Fuck off Peter," Stiles growls, Peter raises an eyebrow. "Do you know where he is or not." Okay so Stiles is in full panic mode at the moment. Cool.

"Yes, he's chasing rabbits again," Peter's eyes flick back over to where Derek is. He isn't hunting rabbits anymore. He's staring right at Peter, blue eyes glowing and a snarl on his lips. "Or he was." Peter amends. 

"Well, what's he doing now?" Stiles snaps and Peter sighs.

"Growling at me apparently." Peter tilts his head at Derek, flashing red eyes at him. 

"Oh, that's not great is it. Should I come out there?" Stiles sounds like he's already putting shoes on.

"You could, but then he might just attack me, if you come anywhere near me. Why don't we test something out. He didn't go too far from your house this time, why don't you call him from the back porch and we'll see if he hears you." Peter watches as Derek wilts a little under his eyes but doesn't really back down. 

"Okay, one sec," Peter can hear Stiles' door opening. "Derek!" Peter watches intently as Derek's head perks up at the sounds of Stiles' voice. He keeps an eye on Peter as he inches that way slowly. Stiles calls his name again and Derek takes off in the direction of Stiles' house. 

"He should be there in a minute." Peter reassures and Stiles sighs. The next thing Peter hears is a rush of wind on the other side of the line and something colliding with the ground.

"Oof, Derek come on. You know how much you weigh, let's go into the house." Stiles says and Peter smiles softly. Maybe his presence freaked his nephew out a little more than he thought it would. "Peter, are you coming here?" Stiles asks and Peter contemplates. 

"I really wasn't joking when I said he might attack me." Peter replies and Stiles laughs a little bit, Peter frowns. 

"Well, if we're gonna help him at all with the separation we're gonna have to get him to at least tolerate your presence, plus the guest room is there. It's late and your apartment is far, no?" Sometimes, Peter really does wonder how in the hell he's gained Stiles' trust. 

"Get him settled first and then I'll head over." Peter decides, he also has a feeling he's going to regret this.