◉ Chapter 14

"Akshu, take a look at these. There are a lot of audition postings! I guess that's because it's the beginning of the year. The OTT series set to start in May seems pretty good. What do you think? And Director Singh's work, which is set to start at the end of the year looks good too..." Simran chirped cheerfully, her excitement palpable as she scrolled through the laptop, but her enthusiasm faltered as she noticed Akshara's complex emotions.

Akshara sat dazed, her fingers tapping on her phone, typing and deleting messages repeatedly. Simran, sensing her friend's inner turmoil, gently took the phone from her hands, declaring, "I will handle this," and started to type but Akshara, flustered, swiftly retrieved her phone and hid it in her pocket.

"Goodness gracious. Just call him, Akshu! If you can't do it, then forget about this whole thing! What's there to sulk and worry about for this long?" Simran exclaimed, her frustration evident.

"I can't help myself but worry..." Akshara admitted timidly, her voice tinged with uncertainty, causing Simran to sigh in understanding.

"I totally understand, Akshu, but if you ask me, Abhimanyu's a good guy. He seems like a very thoughtful and caring person," Simran reassured, trying to ease Akshara's apprehension.

"Rohit was like that at first too. He acted as if he was the nicest and most perfect guy ever. And you too had the same thoughts then..." Akshara retorted, her tone carrying a slight jab, causing Simran to feel a twinge of discomfort.

"Hey, wait! That's..... if that punk acted like that in front of the camera, he would have made it to the Oscars already!" Simran responded with disdain, but seeing Akshara's already gloomy expression, she softened her tone. "Anyway, you too are interested in Abhimanyu, right? But can't trust him at the moment. Then there's no need to rush things. Just keep in touch and get to know him slowly."

Simran's suggestion lingered in the air, prompting Akshara to mull over the idea. But soon with a disheartened expression, she voiced her fears, "...and what do I do if he turns out to be the same as Rohit?" Her words pierced through the room, leaving a heavy silence in their wake, and Simran's heart sank at the weight of Akshara's doubt.

But rallying her emotions, Simran plastered on a determined facade and declared, "Okay, let's go and get drunk! Who knows? You might call him once we get some liquid courage in you." With an encouraging grin, she reached out to pull Akhara to her feet, eager to shake off the gloom that had settled upon them.

"Forget it. It's not proper to call while you're drunk. Plus, I don't even know what to say to him," Akshara protested, her voice tinged with a hint of uncertainty as she pouted cutely.

"What do you even mean? Truthfully, Abhimanyu's a good catch! You don't want to miss this opportunity, do you? So let's go grab a drink and get some courage, okay?" Simran persisted, successfully coaxing Akshara out of the door, determined to lift her friend's spirits and instil her with the courage to pursue what could be a promising connection.

-~*~-

Amidst fits of giggles and drunken ramblings, Akshara waved her glass in the air, calling out to Simran, who had already succumbed to the effects of alcohol and passed out on the bed. "Come on now! You're the one who wanted to drink. Get up!" Akshara urged, shaking Simran's limp form, but to no avail.

"Stop shaking me, Akshu..." Simran grumbled incoherently before drifting off into a deep slumber, leaving Akshara pouting in dissatisfaction as she flopped onto the bed herself, feeling a bit dizzy.

Gazing at her phone on the nightstand, Akshara's intoxicated mind churned with thoughts. "I wasted the whole day without calling him back... I need to tell him so that he won't be waiting... but isn't it too late... to call him at this hour?" she mused aloud, laughing at her own silly idea.