17.5

Pietro had spent a good hour fidgeting with the device's customization settings before it was time for them to move to the main lounge floor for the party. The kids were there with Laura, exclaiming as they saw Pietro's new tool. On the coffee table there was two groups of gifts, people dropping them off as they came in.

Natasha came in, setting a nice bottle of russian vodka between the two groups before saying hello to everyone. More members and friends of the team filtered in, conversations overlapping. Once everyone was accounted for, Clint called everyone's attention. "Alright, we're gonna do gifts. Has everyone put their shit in the piles?"

Various agreements before he sat down next to his husband. He showed him the first box. "This one's from me. Happy birthday, babe."

Clint opened it for him, unfolding a large blanket with pictures of their little family. The kids, Lucky, Wanda, and Kate were all displayed along with countless other pictures of friends. Pietro tried to smile, tried to reflect for much he loved it. The archer could tell how he felt with the way his love's eyes crinkled in the corners.

Next were gifts from the kids, drawings and paintings for both the twins from Nate and Lila, and a witty graphic t-shirt for each of them from Cooper.

They continued unwrapping gifts, Pietro feeling a little guilty for how nice the presents were. Some of them looked very expensive, and he couldn't understand why someone would spend the money on someone who would die before the item was worn out.

One of his favorites was a nice leather jacket from Rhodey, it's interior silky smooth and exterior was black, shiny and well made. He typed out a thank you, and the other just shrugged. "No problem, it suits you."

Gifts complete, they sat around for a bit before doing cake. The twins wanted to do those things early so the kids could be involved before the drinking and game playing took place. Cooper was sitting next to the sickly man, watching him mess around on the new software. Kate came up, grinning.

"So how'd you like that roadrunner shirt? I thought it was pretty funny." She took his hand from where it was balled up in his lap, unfurling his fingers.

"Very funny. You should get Clint a coyote one." He typed, corner of his mouth twitching.

She gasped. "Dude! You're a genius."

●●●

The crew gathered around the cake, Wanda next to her brother. Clint was recording as the lights got turned off, candles illuminating the twins. The younger twin had tears in her eyes as the group sang happy birthday to them, a hand placed on his.

She instinctively only blew out half the candles, looking to her brother. He looked to her fondly, mumbling. "Go... ahead..."

"Make your wish, brother." She spoke before blowing out his half.

He did. He wished for happiness for his family, for them to move on after he was gone. For the heartache to be the easiest on them that it could be.

Clint pressed his lips to his husband's before putting a small amount of icing into the younger's mouth. He reveled in the sweet taste, missing the ability to eat. Missing the ability to kiss his lover back. There were many things he missed as he sat by his love, being fed little bits of frosting. Kate walked past, nonchalantly wiping a smear of frosting onto the younger man's nose before giggling.

Pietro rolled his eyes as his archer wiped it away. "Rude. Go do it to Wanda."

"Okay, but if she kills me it's on you." Kate shrugged.

She made her way over to where Wanda was chatting with Natasha. She stealthily approached her from behind, Nat obviously seeing her coming but saying nothing. She steeled herself before tapping on Wanda's shoulder, taking advantage of the way she whirled around in surprise to smear the icing on her nose. The younger twin gasped in surprise before furrowing her eyebrows.