Chapter 12

June 4, 1963, 19:00

Qua-Toyne-Japan Conference

Prime Minister Kanata required a whopping three hours for the meeting with Tanaka dispatched from the Japanese Empire.

During the discussions, it was proposed that in exchange for providing outdated equipment and weapons from the Japanese Empire as a military alliance and support, 25% of the granary area owned by the Principality of Qua-Toyne would be ceded to Japan.

However, considering the significant impact on the shipment of agricultural products, which are the main trading goods, Qua-Toyne proposed negotiating down to 22% from 25%.

"Mr. Tanaka, could you please consider settling for 22 percent? Anything more would seriously impact our country's economy."

"Prime Minister Kanata, are you certain that 22 percent is the maximum territory ratio your side can concede?"

"Yes, anything beyond that, even I wouldn't be able to persuade the Political Council. Despite the military crisis our country is facing, this much is non-negotiable!" Kanata pressed Tanaka firmly.

Tanaka had encountered such weighty meetings numerous times. Even during his visit to the Guangxi region, which was being developed as Japan's new colony, there had been disputes when Japanese zaibatsu held power over the local government.

'Indeed, applying considerable pressure seems to have worn them out... Nevertheless, prolonging this isn't wise...'

Compared to previous encounters, it was evident to everyone present at this meeting that Japan had overwhelming advantages, both in terms of benefits and military capabilities in times of crisis.

Off the coast of Maihark, the second economic center of Qua-Toyne, the First Fleet, centered around battleships Yamato and Musashi, was stationed. If they wished, they could even shell Maihark.

Moreover, with over 1.500 ballistic missiles deployed on the Japanese mainland, including intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of carrying nuclear warheads toward the United States and Germany, the threat was substantial.

Considering the operational experience of short-range ballistic missiles during the Battle of Shōnan Island and the Mongolian Conflict as support measures for Japanese forces, if Qua-Toyne refused, not only Maihark but also wiping out one or two fortified cities would be relatively easy.

Furthermore, not only ballistic missiles but also strategic bombers could conduct air raids using cluster bombs and incendiary bombs on major cities, and with just three divisions of land forces, it was estimated that Qua-Toyne could be subdued.

Kanata was already experiencing profound fear towards Japan, so Tanaka decided it was best to accede to their plea at this point.

"...Understood. We appreciate your sincere response, Prime Minister Kanata, and as for our country, we agree to accept the 22 percent territory as proposed."

"I-is that so...?"

Kanata breathed a sigh of relief upon hearing Tanaka's words. At least now, Japan wouldn't come up with any more absurd demands. Or so he thought, but it was short-lived as Tanaka's startling proposal emerged.

"Yes... our country also doesn't have much time to spare. Within the next week, we would like to request permission for the establishment of diplomatic relations with the Principality of Qua-Toyne and simultaneous settlement by a pioneer expedition of 100.000 people. Would that be acceptable?"

"A hundred... thousand people!?"

"Yes, it's just over 0,1 percent of our total population, but we will bear all the expenses, so please rest assured."

Preparations for colonization were already underway in mainland Japan. Amidst the chaos caused by the scandal involving Yasuda Zaibatsu, unemployed salarymen, students, and others were being organized into pioneer groups as part of employment measures. Recruitment and preparation of settlers were steadily progressing in port cities like Kobe and Hakata.

The number amounted to a staggering 100.000 people—equivalent to the population of a small provincial city. From the Qua-Toynian perspective, it meant more than twice the number of soldiers in their entire reserve force were offering to settle.

Moreover, Japan would bear all the necessary resources for the settlement.

'100.000 people, just 0,1 percent of the total population... So, Japan must have at least over 100 million people!? That's more than ten times our population!'

The most striking point was that it was just 0,1% of the total population. Japan boasted a population of over 100 million, but from the Qua-Toynian perspective, it meant that a significant percentage of their national population would be replaced by Japanese settlers.

'This is too fast... Everything is happening too fast... Right after accepting our conditions, this...'

However, there was no longer any way to refuse. With the confirmation of Japan's ability to settle 100.000 people and a population of over 100 million, Kanata granted Tanaka's acceptance.

With this, Japan not only obtained fertile land practically for free but also gained the ability to settle an area nearly the same size as southern Kyūshū as new Japanese territory.

Prime Minister Kanata, both physically and mentally exhausted, reported the matter to the Political Council around 22:00. He fainted during the report perhaps due to accumulated stress.

And thus, they come bearing the Rising Sun.