Chapter 19

June 15, 1963, 09:00

Tokyo, Japanese Empire

The military invasion of the Principality of Qua-Toyne by the Kingdom of Louria had been underway for two days, and the Imperial Japanese Army and Navy had initiated their first military action in this world.

The First Fleet, which had already been stationed off the coast of Maihark, set sail in accordance with the alliance with Qua-Toyne to engage the 4.400-strong fleet of the Lourian navy for defense.

Additionally, retired or reserve piston-engine aircraft stored at air bases were taking off one after another. These included fighters such as the Ki-84 Hayate and Shinden, chosen for their ability to operate in the Qua-Toynian flatlands, which lacked concrete paving.

Bombers like the Renzan and Fugaku were also being launched. Petroleum and other supplies for these aircraft were being transported via Maihark, and the fortified city of Ejei was being established as the frontline base of the Japanese military.

Within Japan, news of the military invasion by the Kingdom of Louria had been reported shortly after the signing of the alliance with the Principality of Qua-Toyne. People became aware of the massacre that occurred in the town of Gim. Aerial reconnaissance photographs taken by the Fugaku revealed scenes of massacre occurring throughout the town, including instances of people being intentionally fed to monsters.

Upon reviewing these aerial reconnaissance photographs, the Ministry of the Army concluded that the Kingdom of Louria was engaged in deliberate massacres, exposing numerous atrocities committed by barbarians devoid of rules of warfare like people from the medieval era. Through newspapers and NHK broadcasts, photos capturing these scenes of massacre were publicized, emphasizing the inhumane acts committed by the Lourian military in the Principality of Qua-Toyne, Japan's allied nation.

"Considering the horrific conditions on the ground, we must stop the barbaric acts of the Kingdom of Louria, which are perpetrating atrocities in the towns of the Principality of Qua-Toyne. Prime Minister Takagi has decided to dispatch the First Fleet and the 7th Army Division for the defense of the Principality of Qua-Toyne."

In an otherworldly event—no, a phenomenon of interplanetary transference—many Japanese citizens believed that the actions of the Kingdom of Louria were intolerable. At the very least, the Japanese Empire took pride in being the leader of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere, even if it was a façade, it upheld the principle of ethnic coexistence and mutual prosperity. Many voices also called for assistance to the Principality of Qua-Toyne, Japan's first partner in this coexistence and mutual prosperity endeavor, which had come under attack. The public strongly supported the Prime Minister and the military's deployment to the continent.

At major naval bases of the Imperial Japanese Navy like Yokosuka, Kure, and Sasebo, transport ships for the 7th Division were arriving one after another. These ships were loaded with heavily equipped weapons indispensable in modern warfare, including tanks, armored vehicles, and even helicopters. While most of these division troops and weapons were being transported to Ejei, due to the delay in oil resource extraction from the Kingdom of Quila, domestic reserves were being used for petroleum, limiting the units that could utilize tanks and armored vehicles.

Instead, the Ministry of the Army and the Navy General Staff were emphasizing operations focused on air support. These operations included launching repeated air attacks on the 300.000-strong ground forces of the Kingdom of Louria invading Qua-Toyne, followed by using ground troops to eliminate them, and then launching a counter-invasion of the Lourian capital, Jin-Hark. Given the battles in the new world, where magic exists, relentless attacks were also deemed necessary, making joint operations between the Army and Navy crucial.

The operation to defend the Principality of Qua-Toyne and the first battle in this world was thus named Operation Shinsei.