Chapter 35

July 1, 1963 / Year 1639 Central Calendar, 07:25

Jin-Hark, Kingdom of Louria

"Tsuru 6 is down! I repeat, Tsuru 6 is down!"

"This is Tsuru 3, we've got wyverns coming at us too! Return fire with missiles!"

"Damn it, Tsuru 4, they're diving on Tsuru 6!"

"Tsurugi 3, you're being targeted by a wyvern from the left rear! Climb! Evasive maneuvers!"

"Oh no, they're diving—AAAAAH!"

The 7th Division's 1st Air Squadron was in a state of chaos.

The remnants of the air force, which were thought to have been wiped out by the Fugaku's bombings, were still active. Moreover, about 26 wyverns remained, and the Lourians deployed all remaining air force assets to target the helicopters.

The reconnaissance helicopter Shōwa R5D of the 1st Squadron was equipped with only basic air-to-air missiles as armament, lacking any other offensive weapons and having virtually no protection. The attack helicopter Ki-269 Kasei was equipped with a Type 92 13 mm heavy machine gun for ground attack and 60 mm rocket pods, but had no armament for air combat.

"Tsurugi 5 to Tsurugi 1, enemy wyvern confirmed here too! Dammit, they're aiming for us!"

"Tsurugi 1 to Tsurugi 5! Evade! Full evasive action should give us enough time!"

"I'll try! Aaah! They're sticking to our tail—"

"Tsurugi 5!? Respond, Tsurugi 5!"

The reconnaissance helicopter unit, designated "Tsuru," and the attack helicopters, designated "Tsurugi," were assigned by the squadron, but they lost five in an instant due to the relentless attacks from the Lourian Royal Capital Dragon Riders, who were willing to resort to suicide.

Nevertheless, the squadron leader's aircraft, Tsurugi 1, immediately shouted over the radio to regain composure.

"Tsurugi 1 to all units, maintain formation! The enemy is targeting us! At least it's not the main ground force! We're going to draw their attention, meanwhile request support from the ground forces!"

Below the 1st Squadron, several Type 20 APCs equipped with 10 mm machine guns capable of anti-aircraft attacks were taking the lead, accompanied by Type 26 IFVs equipped with 20 mm machine guns, these ground forces were approaching the wyverns at low altitudes to attack with machine guns in order to save the 1st Squadron. At the same time, a tank unit composed of Type 14 Chi-Wo tanks and the state-of-the-art Type 23 Chi-Wa tanks, which were the trump cards for capturing Hark Castle, fired machine guns at the wyverns.

"Do not let the wyverns get close to the transport helicopters at all costs! Keep firing! Keep firing!"

"They still had wyverns hidden!?"

"Don't let them get any closer to the helos! Aim the anti-aircraft guns carefully!"

The ground armored units provided supporting fire. One by one, the machine guns pierced through the bodies of wyvern riders, riddling their mounts with holes. While the riders had anticipated to some extent being attacked by the ground forces, they turned into countless beams of light that pierced the bodies of the wyverns. The wyverns attempting to assault the helicopters set fire to the flammable magic stones they carried on both sides, spewing fire as they fell to the ground. The sight was like that of a sparkler, with parts of beasts and humans falling apart. The helicopter units, which had been in disarray due to the surprise attack, began to fight back with machine guns and anti-aircraft missiles after regaining their composure.

Aldebaran realized that the element of surprise attack had already lost its effectiveness in the face of the wyverns falling one after another.

"Aaaaah, Captain!!! Enemies from the ground too!!!"

"Damn it, I knew it... Is it impossible to continue..."

"What should we do!?"

"The iron insects are regrouping... then, we'll just have to strike the enemies attacking from the ground! All riders, charge into those iron land dragons!!!"

The remaining 13 wyvern riders switched their targets from the helicopter units to ground targets. Aldebaran, perhaps feeling sorry for the men following him, took the lead in targeting ground attacks, aiming at a Type 20 APC.

"I'll go first! Follow me!"

Japanese soldiers disembarked from the armored vehicles and fired Type 15 automatic rifles at Aldebaran's body. Holes were torn through his armor, blood spurting out. Nevertheless, he persisted in his determination to take down the APC, along with the wyvern, until his demise.

Following Aldebaran, other wyverns also initiated a simultaneous dive attack. However, despite the dive, they were shot down one after another by the simultaneous gunfire from machine guns, automatic rifles, and infantry rifles, deviating from their targets and crashing down.

"Captain!"

"Thanakane! Don't lose focus as much as possible! Keep your concentration on the target—gah!?"

"Muller!? NGAAH!!"

Following the exploding APC, riders like Muller and Thanakane also charged toward Japanese APCs, but both of their wyverns were rendered incapacitated by being shot through the head with machine guns, leaving them immobilized at the moment of impact, and the two were thrown out with difficulty.

"Partner!!!"

The wyvern, which had been close companions, let out a cry like a final farewell as it fell toward the enemy's iron vehicle and exploded.

'With this... at least... things have gotten a bit better...'

Having witnessed this, Thanakane was satisfied that at least his partner had managed to retaliate against the enemy, and he was slammed into the ground. Fortunately, even though it was within rough terrain, it was a sandy area, acting as a cushion, and thanks to the armor stopping the bullets, the two survived. However, immediately after being thrown out, the Japanese soldiers rushed over and captured them as prisoners of war.

Thus, the Japanese army suffered its first casualties and significant losses in combat in this world.

[Combat Casualty Report]

Kingdom of Louria's Royal Capital Wyvern Riders: all members except Muller and Thanakane killed

- All wyverns killed, all air force assets wiped out.

Japanese 7th Division

- 4 scout helicopters and 1 attack helicopter shot down, 12 pilots and observers killed.

- 2 Type 20 APCs destroyed, 7 crewmen killed.

- 1 Type 26 IFV destroyed, 5 crewmen killed.

- Accompanying infantry, 6 killed and 20 injured.

- 1 Type 14 Chi-Wo tank slightly damaged, 1 crewman injured.