Chapter 20

June 15, 1963, 13:00

Rodenius Sea

'That's... the iron warship fleet from the Japanese Empire... it's as if multiple fortresses are floating on the sea...'

Brueye, an officer of the Principality of Qua-Toyne's Second Fleet and an observer officer boarding the YH-6 helicopter, was now witnessing the overwhelming naval power of the Imperial Japanese Navy. As these ships were the ones that conducted gunboat diplomacy with Qua-Toyne, he had the confidence to acknowledge the strength of the Imperial Japanese Navy.

For over a week, the First Fleet led by the Yamato had been stationed off the coast of Maihark, but now they had moved their main guns forward to Rodenius Sea and set sail, accompanied by the Taihō-class aircraft carriers Taihō and Shōhō which had been waiting in the rear, maintaining a circular formation under the escort of destroyers. Moreover, considering their movement at a speed far greater than that of ordinary ships, it was something that could overturn Brueye's naval knowledge.

'To navigate straight on the sea without disrupting formation, especially for such large vessels... even just moving without being significantly affected by the waves is terrifying...'

Initially, Admiral Pancare was supposed to be aboard as the overall commander of the Second Fleet. However, it was deemed undesirable to have no fleet commander in case of combat, so the operations staff officer, Brueye, was deemed suitable as an observer due to his rank and was dispatched.

Sailing parallel to them were two Yamato-class battleships, Yamato and Musashi, each with a length exceeding 300 meters, forming a large-scale naval fleet with destroyers exceeding 100 meters in terms of escort ships.

As Qua-Toyne was also tasking him with investigating Japan's military aspects in this war, Brueye was very curious about what kind of battle Japan would wage.

'Even though I've been a staff officer and thought I grasped the naval capabilities of various countries... Japan is on a different level... The Parpaldia Empire wouldn't possess such naval power...'

The YH-6 landed on the aft helicopter deck of the flagship Yamato, and the sailors guided Brueye to the ship's command room.

Brueye saluted the commander, Itō, and his deputy. "I am Brueye, staff officer of the Second Fleet dispatched from the Principality of Qua-Toyne. I am grateful for your approval of this military dispatch."

"I am Itō, the fleet commander of the First Fleet. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"I am Unabara, commanding officer of the Yamato. May I ask you to relay the information about the Kingdom of Louria that Qua-Toyne has obtained?"

After exchanging greetings with Itō, Brueye proceeded to report on the current situation of Qua-Toyne that had been confirmed. Thanks to manacomm, despite being somewhat crude, the Principality of Qua-Toyne possessed communication technology comparable to the interwar period between the First and Second World Wars, allowing them to obtain information faster than the Japanese.

First, based on information from infiltrators in Louria and evacuees who escaped from Gim, it was conveyed that the Kingdom of Louria has launched a campaign of genocide against Qua-Toyne from both land and sea. The tragedy of Gim, which occurred on land, was also discussed.

"The Lourian army has organized an Eastern Conquest Army and initiated military aggression to completely destroy our country. The once prosperous border town of Gim has been annihilated, with over six thousand civilians and soldiers who fought to the end perishing..."

"Six thousand... We've also heard about that... How tragic, and violence and massacres occurred in every corner of Gim..."

"We have also learned about the unforgivable atrocities committed by the Lourians, including the massacre of non-combatants, as part of our information-gathering efforts. To honor the sacrifice of your country's citizens and brave soldiers, let us fight together as allies."

"...Thank you, sir."

Brueye felt relieved seeing at least Japan's willingness to stand by them.

However, it wasn't that Japan was completely unaware. The First Fleet had already learned of the dire situation in Gim through aerial reconnaissance by the Fugaku plane, and upon knowing the extent of the devastation, the sailors of the First Fleet sympathized with Qua-Toyne.

Continuing, Brueye revealed that the Kingdom of Louria had dispatched a large fleet to besiege Maihark.

"The enemy fleet consists of a massive armada leading 4.400 vessels. It is speculated that wyverns will also be summoned from the ground to provide air support."

"4.400 vessels... That matches the numbers reported by the reconnaissance planes."

"Speaking of wyverns... are they of the same type as those your country possesses?"

"No, it is presumed that the wyverns used by Louria were imported through military aid from the great powers such as the Parpaldia Empire."

"I see... In that case, it would be best to prioritize dealing with the wyverns that will likely arrive first... Captain, prioritize loading anti-aircraft shells into the main guns. Then, activate all anti-aircraft defenses and prepare for any eventuality."

"Yes, sir! All hands, prepare for anti-air combat, and commence loading of anti-aircraft shells into the first and second turrets. Instruct each ship to prepare for anti-air combat!"

Upon receiving Brueye's report, Itō and Unabara ordered everyone to prepare for their first military action in this world.