Chap. IX

"Best Friend"

"Best Friend"
...

Jin Ji Eun's POV
It was another day at school, and another week where the chemistry teacher wasn't present. She said to me that she decided to go visit her son who is pursuing medicine in another country. Wow. Definitely an educated family.

Her being not present brought a lot of joy to my class, not because we hate her, she's a very wonderful person, but her subject that she taught is like full on shit.

I sat next to Jia, who Yerin often left behind for her friends, or to talk to guys. We were just talking about normal life, telling funny stories, and just laughing in general. Arin was sitting with Yerin's clique, them trying on liptints and spraying on perfume that has a sickeningly sweet smell. Arin remained quiet there, just giving a few words to show reactions.

Arin eventually moved to Sunoo's desk, probably studying or just full on talking shit about teachers.

Riki who silently moved to the desk next to Jia, decided to 'secretly' eavesdrop on us, thinking we were talking about his old crush, which I assume he hasn't fully moved on. He wasn't very secretive about eavesdropping, he was full on leaning against my chair while wearing a very weird expression.

He eventually joined the conversation, talking about various things. Chemistry class officially ended, meaning maths class is next, and Mr. Park never skips a day of school. I moved back to my original seat, next to Arin, who told me everything she gossiped with Sunoo.

5 minutes in of talking, my throat starts to get dry. I have a habit of drinking a lot of water, up to 3 to 4 liters a day, so lasting 5 minutes of talking without a sip of water is ridiculous for me.

"Wait, my water bottle is missing." I said to Arin.

"Oh shit, you should find it first. I'll search around the teacher's cabinet." Arin replied while walking towards the teacher's cabinet. That is the location where the nosy and annoying guys hid our things. Riki once hid my chair inside the school garage, leaving me standing for the whole lesson. Riki also hid Yerin's shoes once, which ended up with her crying.

I looked around, eventually founding it on Jia's table. Oh I must have left it there. I was about to walk to grab it, when I saw Riki grabbing it first and started drinking from it. And he was drinking it, his lips touching the mouth of the bottle. I stood there shocked, but just sat back down, waiting him to leave Jia's table so I can collect my bottle, me catching him red-handed would add awkwardness between us.

He must've taught that my bottle was Jungwon's. Me, Jungwon, and Arin have the same type of bottle, but Arin placing a huge sticker makes a difference. I put labeled mine under the bottle, so he must've not noticed it.

I grab it quickly before Riki turned his eyes in my direction. And as I sat down, I stared at it. Heart beating like I just planked for 5 minutes. Not wanting to wipe it down, because it's not completely disgusting. I've shared spoons and drinks with my family and Hana, so sharing it with a guy best friend of 6 years certainly wasn't a big problem right?

"Oh you found it and you didn't tell me? I was scavenging around Mr. Park and accusing a bunch of guys and you were sitting here?" Arin said with a sulky face.

"Hehe I just left it on Jia's table apparently." I said kind of embarrassed.

Arin sat down with a sulky face facing away from me.

"I heard there's a cake store that just opened near school." I pretended to talk with the boy in front of me. He said yes, stating that the cakes were delicious as he had tried it before.

Arin has a big sweet tooth, giving her anything sweet would revive her energy and mood.

"I'm sorry I didn't told you first. Do you want to go eat cakes after school? My treat." I said while patting Arin's hair.

She turned around with a sulky face which eventually turned into a wide smile. Nodding quickly.

Sure, I have problems with my heart just beating crazy whenever Riki did something out of the box, but I'll handle this problem first before Arin actually sulked for a full day.

I'm not fully over the hoodie accident, and this just adds up in the list of Riki's unpredictable actions. I've not return the hoodie yet, Riki telling me to keep it first, and giving it to him when he asked to. Don't think this as a sign from him that he actually wants me to keep it, but in reality he's just too lazy to bring something very thick and heavy home.

I thought and thought about this, before I decided to forget it and just think that maybe it was just a reaction because Riki did something unpredictable, not because I have a thing for him. It's weird for him to be different after 6 years, so my heart acting weird wasn't an abnormal reaction right?

And by the end of the day, as I went for cakes with Arin, I saw him and Heeseung trailing behind, them just stepping in the same store. We ended up in the same table just talking and laughing, me not bother to think about the previous event. Heeseung just asking weird things about Riki, which most of them I know the answer to. While Riki, just sat down with a very annoying expression, which I know is his sulky face.

We left after 2 hours, Arin leaving first. Riki was the second to leave, and just about when he was leaving, Heeseung tapped him on his shoulder.

"Hey, bid your best friend goodbye!" he pointed at me. Most of his friends refer to me as his 'best friend' because of the stories Jungwon and Jay told and the stories Riki told them about me. The way they said 'best friend' is kinda sus tho. But I might just overthink.

"Bye." Riki waved his hand before he walked away.

"Wow your best friend is very good at acting cool." Heeseung teased.

Yeah, my best friend.