Take A Rest

This story is partially inspired by the song Take A Rest by RecD!

"Gosh, everything is just in shambles today! Crafty's struggling to draw, Bubba's barely in the mood to even solve 3 x 6, and Kickin sprained his ankle today! Not to mention that Picky accidentally burnt breakfast, lunch, AND dinner, and is working her tail off to try and get us something to eat nefore the day ends!"

"And everyone is relying on ME to help guide and encourage them but it's all just so much!!"

The canine vented to his partner, who listened to every word of his calmly. Said partner, Catnap of course, laid on the bed peacefully, his ear twitching every minute or so.

He also course empathized with his lover. Being a leader is a tough job after all, especially during days like these, where it seems that everything just isn't going your way.

Still, that doesn't mean that someone should overwork themselves beyond the point of exhaustion. Sure, in some cases it may allow someone to accomplish what they desire.

But in exchange for that small accomplishment, one may experience burnout, among other negative emotions.

[Damn Catnap's calling me out here.]

He didn't want the dog to experience that. He gently wrapped his long tail around the dog, who let out a soft gasp in response.

"Catnap?"

"Shh...it's been a long day, hun. You've done swell, but a leader needs his rest as well."

The cat hummed in a calm, low singing-like voice. His partner let out a soft chuckle, his tail beginning to sway a little as the cat slowly pulled him towards the bed with ease.

"Haha! What, are you singing me to sleep or something Catnap?"

The feline smirked, releasing his tail from around the dog.

"Maybe. Whatever it'll take for you to get your rest."

The dog knew what that implied, given the special Poppy Gas the cat possessed within himself. Letting out a playful chuckle, he got into the bed alongside the cat, knowing that he didn't have much of a choice.

Not that he minded, of course. To be fair, the cat was right. He did need some rest himself.

Plus...it'd be nice to relax a bit, after an eventful day like today.

The cat pulled the bed sheets over himself and Dogday, resting his head onto the dog's chest. He wrapped his long tail around the dog, practically trapping him within the bed.

The canine found himself letting out a long, relieved sigh as his body relaxed, feeling all of the built up exhaustion from the day hit him like a truck.

"Comfy, eh?"

The cat asked, raising an eyebrow with a smug smirk present on his face.

"Hey, it's not my fault your fur is so soft, and nice, and smells like lavender and...I could go on all day about you, haha."

The cat let out a soft purr, silence filling the room for a moment. One thought remained in the dog's mind, until he decided to share it with the cat.

"...You know, I did kind of like that singing from earlier. I know it may sound kinda funny coming from me but..."

The dog locked his eyes onto the cat, giving him the ever so persuading puppy eyes that he had long mastered by now. Of course, they quickly caught the cat's attention.

Well, who couldn't fall to those irresistible eyes of adorableness?!

"Could you perhaps...sing me to sleep? It may help, heh...especially after such a stressful day."

The dog emphasized the last part, trying to persuade the cat further. Catnap let out a soft chuckle.

"Well...I can't say no to that face. Besides...as long as it helps you sleep, I don't see why not."

The cat prepared himself, clearing his throat before he drew in a deep breath.

"Just take a rest, you've had such a long day, and you deserve it."

Dogday let out a small sigh, smiling as he slowly closed his eyes, his partner's singing helping turn his exhaustion to drowsiness.

"You're at your best when you're dreaming away. I'll be your servant."

The cat slowly released a small amount of his Poppy Gas, helping ease the dog to sleep as he willingly breathed a bit in.

"Just take a breath, and dream the dreams I craft for you."

"Where everything is better than it seems, so you won't feel so blue..."

The cat was about to think of how he'd continue, only for his thoughts to be interrupted but the quiet, yet audible sound of the dog snoring a little.

He smiled warmly at the dog. Finally, he's getting the rest he deserves.

He planted a soft kiss on the dog's forehead before settling in himself, wrapping his arms around the dog before closing his own eyes.

"Sleep well, Dogday."

Was the last thing the cat said before he drifted off to sleep himself, alongside his canine partner.