Nightmare

The dog was playing with his favorite feline friend, well, boyfriend rather as usual, the cat of course throwing a ball for the canine to fetch.

He ran on all fours, hoping to catch the ball. He sped up, accelerating within an instant.

He was so close, he could feel it! His tail thrashed as he made a leap, opening his mouth wide to catch the ball.

...but he missed, landing on the groynd safely, without the ball in his mouth.

"Aww man! I missed it this time..."

The canine let out a small whimper, a frown on his face. His expression quickly perked back up.

"But hey! There's always next time! Right Catnap?"

...

Silence.

The cat didn't say anything.

"Catnap...?"

The dog turned, only to find the cat glaring at him, red smoke flowing from the cat's mouth.

"W-Wait Catnap! We can talk about this, please!"

He didn't know why, but he was suddenly...afraid of the feline. Something about him felt off...and from what he could tell, it was clear that he had malicious intentions.

The cat remained silent, grabbing the dog by the throat. He began to choke the canine, drawing his claws out.

"C-CATNAP PLEASE STOP! I'M SORRY!! I SWEAR I WON'T ANOTHER BALL EVER AGAIN!!"

The canine pleaded, but his words fell on deaf ears. The cat's claws flew, right into the dog's stomach. Blood began to pour out, the dog screaming and whimpering in pain.

A sadistic smile grew onto the cat's face, one that the dog had never seen before. What's gotten into him?!

The dog could only stare down at the newly formed wound, watching the blood pour out, creating a strange, ticklish sensation as it flowed onto his body, dripping down, only for more to-

"DOGDAY!!!"

A familiar voiced yelled. The dog's eyes shot open, freeing him from the nightmare. He immediately sat up due to the sudden change in enviornment.

He was panting, breathing heavily with an occasional whimper or two.

He turned to the source of the voice. It was his beloved Catnap. He stared at him in concern, likely because of the noise he was making in his sleep.

"Catnap...I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to wake you-"

A soft, furry paw touched the dog's own paw, the cat gently brushing it before holding onto it.

"It's okay. You had a nightmare...didn't you? Tell me about it. Please."

The dog let out a sigh, laying back down into the bed.

"Well...we were playing Fetch, as usual. I missed the ball then...suddenly you went all silent. Your poppy gas began to flow out and you started choking me. Then...you scratched me, or...stabbed me with your claws, I started and...I woke up."

The cat's eyes widened in both concern and strangely enough, guilt. Did he scare the dog at all? He knows that his behavior may be a little strange sometimes, so he wouldn't hold it against the dog if he did scare him a bit.

"Dogday...hun, I'd never hurt you. Besides...look.."

The dog turned his eye to see what the cat wanted to show him. Catnap drew out his claws, which made the canine flinch for a moment. Despite his fear, he took a closer look at it.

They were...a lot smaller than they were in the dream. In fact, at most they could only give the cat a small cut, especially if the cat made a 'swiping' or 'slashing' motion with them.

"See? They're nowhere near big enough to stab you. And I haven't gone all creepy on you because I drew them out."

The feline wrapped his arms around Dogday, now the 'big spoon' this time. He gently rubbed the dog's back, who leaned into the cat's embrace.

"It's okay, moonlight. It was just a nightmare. Everything will be okay.."

Dogday nodded, wrapping his arms around Catnap, returning the gesture as he closed his eyes.

"I'll protect you, Dogday."

Was the last thing the canine heard before he drifted off to sleep.