29

NATIONAL ANTHEM

Jade sat on her bed, watching something on her laptop to distract herself from the fact that Jack hasn't tried to talk to her about what happened two days ago.

They ignored each other in the halls, and he didn't even text her about it.

Jade had no idea where her relationship currently stood, and it was stressing her out.

Everyone around her could tell that something was bothering her, but they didn't want to ask incase she just got more mad at the fact that someone actually realized that she wasn't okay.

Jack was her best friend, and even though it's only been two days, that's two days they've gone without talking.

Sure, Emma was there. But Jack was different. He knew just what to say to make her feel better, that's part of the reason Jade likes him so much.

" Jade, come downstairs", her mom yelled from the bottom of the stairs.

She dragged herself out of bed, her sweat shorts and hoodie that she's been wearing for the last two days still strung on her body.

Jack stood at the door, an apologetic look on his face. Her mom left them alone, Jade standing there awkwardly.

" Hi",

" Hi", he said as she tried to avoid his eyes, " Wanna go for a walk?",

Jade nodded, sliding on her shoes and following him out the door. They ended up going down a trail near her house, an awkward silence between them.

" Look, J, I'm really sorry", Jack sighed, " First, I'm sorry about what I said the other day. I think I said it to seem cool, like you said. And it was a lie. Cause I'm never breaking up with you, even if I get drafted somewhere far away",

The girl smiled a bit, but still wanted to seem somewhat mad at him.

" And I'm also sorry for not reaching out. I was just being stubborn. But I'm in the wrong, 100 percent. I hope you aren't too mad at me",

Jade shrugged, " It hurt my feelings. That's not something you wanna hear coming out of your own boyfriends mouth, J",

" I know. And I'm really sorry. I was just being an idiot",

" Yeah, happens a lot", she joked

Jack scoffed and pushed her slightly, Jade grabbing onto his arm quickly as they turned to face each other.

" It's fine, Jack. I just really hope you aren't thinking like that for a reason, you know? I really don't want this ruining what we have. I know we can make it work once you leave",

" I know we can too. And I'm not thinking like that", Jack assured her.

She nodded, Jack leaning down slightly to press his lips onto hers.

Jade could only hope that Jack was being honest, and that he really was just being a typical teenage boy who doesn't understand other people's feelings.